Retro Uprising
Chat Whatever.
Donation Goal
Goal amount: 5000 USD, Received: 489 USD (10%)
Donate Now
When we reach the current donation goal all software on Retro Uprising will be replaced with a new superior method for playing games online that will support all browsers, play many more games and consoles and fix errors in existing games. This will be a massive site upgrade. The largest in our history. Please help us reach our goal as soon as possible.

Retro Uprising relies on donations from users like you! List of Donors

Register to enable more features such as high score recording.

Go Back   Retro Uprising > Other > Chat

Old 07-15-2014, 06:43 PM   #1 (permalink)
Regular Poster
4,906 posts
RU Joe has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!RU Joe has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!RU Joe has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!RU Joe has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!RU Joe has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!RU Joe has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!RU Joe has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!RU Joe has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!RU Joe has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!RU Joe has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!RU Joe has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!
View Stats
Level: 41
Points: 28,434, Level: 41 Points: 28,434, Level: 41 Points: 28,434, Level: 41
Level up: 14%
Level up: 14%, 1,216 Points needed Level up: 14% Level up: 14%
Activity: 95%
Activity: 95% Activity: 95% Activity: 95%

Forgotten Realms

In the local used bookstore window stood a stack of Forgotten Realms novels, and I got to wondering: could this be the same FR we know and love from games such as Baldur's Gate: Dark Alliance

{Alyth, owner of the Elfsong Tavern in the town of Baldur's Gate}

or Demon Stone?

Turns out, it is the same storyline and group of character types; Dragons, Elves, Goblins, Orcs, Harpies, Owlbears .. you get the idea.
Anyone familiar with Dungeons and Dragons will immediately recognize these creatures, and I don't know for certain but I'd swear D&D and FR are one and the same.

I had to save up, but for about $20 I got 12 paperback novels, but just to let you know, they come in hardcover as well.
I gave Elfshadow to RU Kitty after I finished reading it; I think she's hooked now!

I'm on to the sequel, Elfsong,

and so many novels yet to go ; I still have to finish Cormyr too .

ABOUT the storylines, characters and major locations are cross - referenced within the novels, making for further character development and also gives me a sense of familiarity with the locations and their inhabitants.

However, of the FR novels I have read so far I have yet to find any mention of characters from the games {the ones I know of, that is}.
Overall, these are fun to read books with interesting and complex characters and just enough action and mystery to keep you flipping the pages.
My SignatureDisplay Signature Reply With Quote
Scanty and Kneesocks with Otto Nightmare Team presents:
Your new nightmare XXVII:
( Click to show/hide )

The sudden realization you'd been doing something wrong without knowing it, then hoping it's not too late to fix it.

Old 07-15-2014, 06:56 PM   #2 (permalink)
MY TITLE IS RED!
26,061 posts
Dudebro has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Dudebro has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Dudebro has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Dudebro has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Dudebro has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Dudebro has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Dudebro has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Dudebro has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Dudebro has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Dudebro has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Dudebro has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!
View Stats
Level: 62
Points: 106,608, Level: 62 Points: 106,608, Level: 62 Points: 106,608, Level: 62
Level up: 80%
Level up: 80%, 4,142 Points needed Level up: 80% Level up: 80%
Activity: 0%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

Re: Forgotten Realms

It's a campaign setting for D&D. It seems cool but I'm not a PnP nerd so I wouldn't know for sure.
Old 07-15-2014, 07:54 PM   #3 (permalink)
Regular Poster
4,906 posts
RU Joe has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!RU Joe has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!RU Joe has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!RU Joe has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!RU Joe has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!RU Joe has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!RU Joe has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!RU Joe has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!RU Joe has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!RU Joe has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!RU Joe has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!
View Stats

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dudebro View Post
It's a campaign setting for D&D. It seems cool but I'm not a PnP nerd so I wouldn't know for sure.
Campaign setting, I see.
I'm certainly no huge fan of D&D in general, I only like the characters - which makes it easy for me to enjoy the games as well as these novels.

To be honest my first experience with D&D involved rolling more dice with more sides on them I'd ever seen before; by the time all that was done I was already bored.
Then our Dungeonmaster started killing players no matter what they did, and that was when I quit playing.

What I'm trying to say is, you don't have to be really into the board game, L.A.R.P. - ing, or any other 'nerdy' activities to enjoy these novels {or the video games for that matter}.
( Click to show/hide )

The sudden realization you'd been doing something wrong without knowing it, then hoping it's not too late to fix it.

Old 07-15-2014, 08:20 PM   #4 (permalink)
MY TITLE IS RED!
26,061 posts
Dudebro has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Dudebro has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Dudebro has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Dudebro has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Dudebro has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Dudebro has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Dudebro has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Dudebro has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Dudebro has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Dudebro has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Dudebro has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!
View Stats
Points: 106,608, Level: 62 Points: 106,608, Level: 62 Points: 106,608, Level: 62
Level up: 80%, 4,142 Points needed Level up: 80% Level up: 80%

I actually read about these worlds/realms sometimes when I'm bored. It's hard to find a good free source for D&D but of the ones I've read I like forgotten realms the most.
Old 07-15-2014, 08:58 PM   #5 (permalink)
Gao Gao Gao
Donor
Administrator
13,124 posts
Kugyince has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Kugyince has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Kugyince has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Kugyince has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Kugyince has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Kugyince has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Kugyince has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Kugyince has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Kugyince has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Kugyince has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Kugyince has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!
View Stats
Points: 108,679, Level: 62 Points: 108,679, Level: 62 Points: 108,679, Level: 62
Level up: 90%
Level up: 90%, 2,071 Points needed Level up: 90% Level up: 90%

+1 (+1/-0)     

Forgotten Realms is one of the oldest campaign settings for D&D. The setting is created by Ed Greenwood considered by many to be the J. R. R. Tolkien of our time. The world he has created dwarfs middle earth in both expanse and detail. Hundreds of religions and cultures, governments an societies detailed with extreme care from the history of great kings to the names of each tavern in one city. Multiple pantheons, currencies, calendar systems, languages etc, all laid out to bare over thousands of years of history.

Massive image:
( Click to show/hide )

Comments

Excellent map!

Old 07-15-2014, 09:13 PM   #6 (permalink)
Regular Poster
4,906 posts
View Stats

^
This
, in Minecraft.

Ohhhhhhhhh Yeahhhhhhhhh,
beautiful!
( Click to show/hide )

Old 07-16-2014, 02:50 PM   #7 (permalink)
Regular Poster
1,659 posts
david man45 intelligence, kindness, and good looks are blinding.david man45 intelligence, kindness, and good looks are blinding.david man45 intelligence, kindness, and good looks are blinding.david man45 intelligence, kindness, and good looks are blinding.david man45 intelligence, kindness, and good looks are blinding.david man45 intelligence, kindness, and good looks are blinding.
View Stats
Level: 22
Points: 7,089, Level: 22 Points: 7,089, Level: 22 Points: 7,089, Level: 22
Level up: 80%, 161 Points needed Level up: 80% Level up: 80%

I love the FR books and games, and I love how all the characters and games are connected.
RUJoe, if you enjoy the novels some great ones are The Legend of Drizzt.
Old 07-16-2014, 05:59 PM   #8 (permalink)
Regular Poster
Donor
Game Mod
326 posts
Krendall has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Krendall has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Krendall has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Krendall has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Krendall has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Krendall has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Krendall has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Krendall has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Krendall has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Krendall has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Krendall has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!
View Stats
Level: 24
Points: 8,567, Level: 24 Points: 8,567, Level: 24 Points: 8,567, Level: 24
Level up: 65%
Level up: 65%, 283 Points needed Level up: 65% Level up: 65%
Activity: 100%
Activity: 100% Activity: 100% Activity: 100%

I'm curious, since I believe Forgotten Realms started back in 2nd edition, have the classes and abilities evolved with the different editions of D&D?
Old 07-16-2014, 06:02 PM   #9 (permalink)
Regular Poster
4,906 posts
View Stats

Quote:
Originally Posted by david man45 View Post
I love the FR books and games, and I love how all the characters and games are connected.
RUJoe, if you enjoy the novels some great ones are The Legend of Drizzt.
Do you mean that characters from the games have been mentioned in the novels, or vice versa?
I'm curious about that.
Thanks for the recommendation; have you read many of these novels?

DB, you said you read these stories online, are you talking about fan fiction?
( Click to show/hide )

Old 07-16-2014, 06:18 PM   #10 (permalink)
Gao Gao Gao
Donor
Administrator
13,124 posts
Kugyince has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Kugyince has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Kugyince has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Kugyince has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Kugyince has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Kugyince has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Kugyince has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Kugyince has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Kugyince has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Kugyince has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Kugyince has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!
View Stats
Points: 108,679, Level: 62 Points: 108,679, Level: 62 Points: 108,679, Level: 62

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krendall View Post
I'm curious, since I believe Forgotten Realms started back in 2nd edition, have the classes and abilities evolved with the different editions of D&D?
Forgotten Realms started in 1979, long before 2nd edition or even AD&D before that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RU Joe View Post
Do you mean that characters from the games have been mentioned in the novels, or vice versa?
I'm curious about that.
Thanks for the recommendation; have you read many of these novels?

DB, you said you read these stories online, are you talking about fan fiction?
Yes, all the characters from the novels exist within the game and vice versa.

I've read over 50 of the novels though nothing new. They are quite decent if you have a taste for 80's fantasy. You can find most of the paperbacks at Goodwill and garage sales for a quarter to a dollar but since there are hundreds of books it would be quite confusing to just pick random ones (timeline wise).

If you're sincerely interested I can hook you up with all the ones I have on my Kindle (about 100) and a chronological reading list.

This chronicles releases up through 2004:
Forgotten Realms Novels

Old 07-16-2014, 06:50 PM   #11 (permalink)
Regular Poster
4,906 posts
View Stats

Ten:
Quote:
If you're sincerely interested I can hook you up with all the ones I have on my Kindle (about 100) and a chronological reading list.
I don't know what a 'Kindle' is.

( Click to show/hide )

Old 07-16-2014, 08:01 PM   #12 (permalink)
Gao Gao Gao
Donor
Administrator
13,124 posts
View Stats

It doesn't matter if you have a Kindle or not. You can read the files on your computer. I believe everything I have is out of print also.

Old 07-17-2014, 03:29 AM   #13 (permalink)
Regular Poster
1,659 posts
david man45 intelligence, kindness, and good looks are blinding.david man45 intelligence, kindness, and good looks are blinding.david man45 intelligence, kindness, and good looks are blinding.david man45 intelligence, kindness, and good looks are blinding.david man45 intelligence, kindness, and good looks are blinding.david man45 intelligence, kindness, and good looks are blinding.
View Stats

I'm actually going through the drow city of Ust Natha right now and a lot of the dialogue and even some named NPC's have all been mentioned and have a great back story in my mind after reading the Legend of Drizzt books
Old 07-17-2014, 03:39 PM   #14 (permalink)
Regular Poster
4,906 posts
View Stats

Quote:
Originally Posted by david man45 View Post
I'm actually going through the drow city of Ust Natha right now and a lot of the dialogue and even some named NPC's have all been mentioned and have a great back story in my mind after reading the Legend of Drizzt books
Sounds like a lot of fun, which game are you playing?
I'm definitely gripped by the FR storyline/ world and am looking forward to seeing some familiar names in the games - and seeing those characters in action.

I've played Baldur's Gate a few times but haven't read many of the novels yet; as you can tell by this thread I've just recently discovered them, so could have already encountered characters mentioned in the novels but wouldn't know it yet.

Besides the characters, I liked the settings in Demon Stone - the opening battle kicks that LOTR game's arse in my opinion.
Sadly I haven't gotten very far in DS yet.

Ten:
Quote:
It doesn't matter if you have a Kindle or not. You can read the files on your computer. I believe everything I have is out of print also.
Clearly you've been into FR much longer than I have; as I said earlier I was burnt by a very dry and uninspiring D&D experience and so abandoned the whole thing ages ago, only to rediscover it through the games.
Sad to hear some of the novels are out of print now, I wonder why that is.

Seems to me FR would provide excellent material for one of these modern CGI movies.
{wandering thought}
( Click to show/hide )

Old 07-17-2014, 06:09 PM   #15 (permalink)
Regular Poster
1,659 posts
View Stats

I assume you are reffering to BG: DA on the Playstation, which isn't the best Baldur's Gate game but is one of my favorite on that system. It refers to a lot of the gods and religions and ways of life for different races, but it isn't nearly as in depth as it could be. I feel it was made to appeal to those who were never into FR or BG. If you can, I'd get ahold of the second BG for the playstation. Great game. I've owned like 3 copies and they keep getting broken or lost, and they're worth like $50 used. I think new its around $150. But I'm playing Baldur's Gate 2: Shadow's of Amn for the computer with the Throne of Bhal expansion pack. I think its the best Strategy RPG's out there, with a close second being Arcanum. The FR world amazes me too.

---------- Post added at 06:09 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:43 PM ----------

Also, I have a bunch of FR pc games if your interested on good old games, its DRM free, which I think means I can put it on as many computers as I want? So if you want I can hook you up with em for free.

Last edited by david man45; 07-17-2014 at 05:44 PM.. Reason: : D not :D
Old 07-23-2014, 11:32 AM   #16 (permalink)
Regular Poster
4,906 posts
View Stats

Guys, I just visited the Minecraft Forgotten Realms Creative server, and am so impressed with what I saw, just around the spawn area.

The server is running on 1.7.2, so you may have to create a profile to run MC in that version in case you don't have such a profile saved already.

ForgottenRealms.tk

Resource pack:

barrelfix

I know most of the RU Crew don't play Creative much but this is worth seeing, believe me.
They have an exploration rewards system, so the more places you explore the more in - game cash you get, which in turn can be used for .. stuff!
{hey, it was my first visit there so I can't be expected to remember everything}

The most impressive part of the experience for me is that the interiors of the buildings are decorated, in fine detail - making exploration all the more enjoyable!
I know RU Kitty will appreciate it, this much is certain.

Don't take my word for it, go see for yourselves!
( Click to show/hide )

Old 07-26-2014, 02:09 AM   #17 (permalink)
Regular Poster
1,659 posts
View Stats

If I was on Minecraft I'd love to see that Joe, especially to see what they have created for the Underdark and other places. How are you doing on those games? I have yet to complete the expansion for BG2, the last play through I was doing it was my sole duty to collect every 'special' item. Anything that had a description that wasn't default. Had to keep a keen eye out for them, as a spear +2 had the normal spear message, but the katana +2 I found, had a lengthy description of its history! I'm near the end of the normal play through before the throne of bhall starts. I need to complete all side quests and yada yada and revisit all stores and merchants to buy anything cool they might have had. And hey, I wont spoil anything for you, but it is wise to use ribald bartman in the adventurers mart a lot, he may just have a few surprises for you! After that I am going to play the other FR games on that GOG account. I feel that I should really start getting into reading the books in some kind of chronological order, which Tenser said he has compiled? Easy enough to look up on the internet anyways. Maybe i'll dedicate a section of my place to FR enthusiasm. I really do love the series and can't think of one that compares to its awesomeness
Old 07-26-2014, 03:09 AM   #18 (permalink)
Regular Poster
4,906 posts
View Stats

I'm not sure how many areas of the FR universe they've got on that server; it mentions certain areas in the video but most names aren't familiar to me - yet.
My computer lagged when I visited the server but from what I saw it is a collection of detailed builds well worth seeing if you're interested.
Had a small chat with someone there and between heaping praise upon them for such great work managed to get them to tell me at least the terrain was made using Voxel Sniper and/ or MC World Edit, but the structural details cannot be made with such programs - there's a lot of block by block work there.

Forgotten Realms is far underrated in my opinion, but then I say that about a lot of things.
So far I haven't gotten far in the games at all, mainly because of my computer randomly crashing so what can I do.
Most I've played so far was an hour or so of Icewinddale, and it's amazing.

Going after special items is going to have to wait until I learn to play without my whole party getting killed by level 1 monsters.
I imagine a lot of the nicer enchanted items get dropped by Bosses?
Thanks for the tip on item shopping; good to know things may change after speaking with a character for the first time.

My experience with such games up until now has been limited to Gamecube and Playstation 2, {Baldur's Gate: Dark Alliance} but those versions aren't nearly as complex.
I'm going to have to get used to everything all over agin!
( Click to show/hide )

Old 07-26-2014, 04:17 AM   #19 (permalink)
Regular Poster
1,659 posts
View Stats

Yeah I played a little of Icewind, but I was referring to Baldur's gate 2. If you like icewind you'll love BG, ill buy the first one so you can play that first if you want. It gives you the option to keep your character from the first all the way through the expansion. As far as going after special items, just collect em on your way :P And since I was doing my play through to try and collect all the special items, I stored all of them inside the actual store! I was so surprised the store keep didn't mind me moving all his crap out of a container and letting me put mine in there. But I would only go to him to buy and sell whatever my party needed, and he offered me to see his "special wares".... for a fee learn something new each time around. It is very complex in comparison to the PS2 version, I was such a huge fan of the PS2, but when I found it for the computer I was mind blown. It took me a long while to not get the crap kicked out of me too though, definitely gotta get used to the rules and all that.

Also, does the game crash or your computer? Every now and again BG2 shuts down on me, says it stopped working. But it was very infrequent so I wasn't too concerned.

Last edited by david man45; 07-26-2014 at 04:19 AM..
Old 07-26-2014, 03:20 PM   #20 (permalink)
Regular Poster
4,906 posts
View Stats

My computer is very old and the crashing is random, not caused by any one specific thing as far as I can tell.
The problem is not related to these games in any way, and exists solely within my machine.

DM45:
Quote:
and he offered me to see his "special wares".... for a fee

I'll have to give Baldur's Gate 2 a fair go when I have the time, but would definitely give the original Icewinddale a shot as well if given the opportunity.
It's like you said: the PS2 games were good, but these are far more complex and the detail is incredible when compared with the console versions.
( Click to show/hide )

Old 08-07-2014, 05:25 PM   #21 (permalink)
Regular Poster
4,906 posts
View Stats

So after playing Baldur's Gate 2 for a while now I can safely say that I'm just starting to make some progress.

I have two seemingly useful items, one a power cell, and the other an activation stone .. for Sewer Golems.
Is this what we call a crappy start?

Of course I'm only joking and am pleased by the challenge of figuring out what to do next.
There's a couple of doors I can't seem to open even using Thief's skills, but of those one I don't think I'm ready for yet since I hear the roar of some unknown creature when I stand in front of it.

IN OTHER WORDS, I'm still in the first area , but I'm cool with that.
Like I said the challenge is nice.
( Click to show/hide )

Old 08-07-2014, 06:57 PM   #22 (permalink)
Regular Poster
1,659 posts
View Stats

Irenicus' dungeon was the coolest place when I first played it. FULL of puzzles and traps and story. I actually couldn't beat that part of the game with anything but a sorcerer for my character. You'll get used to it!