Retro Uprising
Chat Whatever.
Donation Goal
Goal amount: 5000 USD, Received: 489 USD (10%)
Donate Now
When we reach the current donation goal all software on Retro Uprising will be replaced with a new superior method for playing games online that will support all browsers, play many more games and consoles and fix errors in existing games. This will be a massive site upgrade. The largest in our history. Please help us reach our goal as soon as possible.

Retro Uprising relies on donations from users like you! List of Donors

Register to enable more features such as high score recording.

Go Back   Retro Uprising > Other > Chat

Old 12-24-2015, 02:18 AM   #1 (permalink)
Regular Poster
667 posts
ARedLetterDay has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!ARedLetterDay has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!ARedLetterDay has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!ARedLetterDay has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!ARedLetterDay has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!ARedLetterDay has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!ARedLetterDay has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!ARedLetterDay has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!ARedLetterDay has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!ARedLetterDay has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!ARedLetterDay has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!
View Stats
Level: 23
Points: 7,541, Level: 23 Points: 7,541, Level: 23 Points: 7,541, Level: 23
Level up: 37%
Level up: 37%, 509 Points needed Level up: 37% Level up: 37%
Activity: 0%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%
Send a message via AIM to ARedLetterDay Send a message via MSN to ARedLetterDay Send a message via Yahoo to ARedLetterDay Send a message via Skype™ to ARedLetterDay

For fans of RPGs

This is excluding traditional jRPG's like FF or DQ.

Specifically, this topic focuses on wRPGs - Wizardry, AD&D, Dungeon Master, etc.

I love RPGs, I love jRPGs, action RPGs, wRPGS, all of them.

But when I play wRPGs, especially those of the classic variety (late 1980's until early 2000's) - I do horrible, and as a result, I tend to get bored. I love creating my characters and crawling through a dungeon and all that, but more often than not, the labyrinthine dungeons and sudden increase in difficulty like an hour into the game turns me off. And I can't concentrate, which is a shame, because I'd love to spend an entire night getting lost in a Wizardry game.

So for those who grew up playing those games, or who are massive fans of them, is it an acquired taste? Is it possible for me to get better at them? Or am I hopelessly stuck.

The same goes for RPG's like Baldur's Gate and Planescape: Torment - I can play comfortably for an hour or two but after a while I just get bored. But I don't want to be.
My SignatureDisplay Signature Reply With Quote

"his voice swayed with the kindness of devils."

Games in Progress (Name [System, company, year released]: Location Ingame / Current Objective)

Old 12-24-2015, 10:28 AM   #2 (permalink)
5,581 posts
DrunkN has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!DrunkN has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!DrunkN has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!DrunkN has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!DrunkN has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!DrunkN has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!DrunkN has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!DrunkN has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!DrunkN has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!DrunkN has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!DrunkN has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!
View Stats
Level: 51
Points: 44,169, Level: 51 Points: 44,169, Level: 51 Points: 44,169, Level: 51
Level up: 37%, 1,081 Points needed Level up: 37% Level up: 37%

Re: For fans of RPGs

Same deal for me when I tried playing might and magic or Fallout for the first time. The trick for me was to just keep starting new runs every couple of days until I had one that just took off.
Old 12-24-2015, 03:45 PM   #3 (permalink)
Gao Gao Gao
Donor
Administrator
13,124 posts
Kugyince has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Kugyince has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Kugyince has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Kugyince has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Kugyince has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Kugyince has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Kugyince has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Kugyince has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Kugyince has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Kugyince has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Kugyince has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!
View Stats
Level: 62
Points: 108,679, Level: 62 Points: 108,679, Level: 62 Points: 108,679, Level: 62
Level up: 90%
Level up: 90%, 2,071 Points needed Level up: 90% Level up: 90%

These games are my mother fuckin' jam! When I get home so I'm not trying to respond on my phone, we'll chat.

---------- Post added at 03:45 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:33 AM ----------

Okay, I've played through a LOT of Wizardry, AD&D, Bard's Tale, Swords and Sorcery, Might and Magic and the older Ultima games. They're all really great games if you enjoy number crunching and min/maxing. You also really need to enjoy not just the concept but the actual practice of drawing dungeon maps out on graph paper. There's a certain acquired taste in the satisfaction of taking one step in a dungeon, then sketching.

These games require a LOT of patience. They're extremely difficult. You need to very slowly explore a dungeon bit by bit, step by step and be willing to go back to town after only a few battles.

I think if you're having issues with these games maybe you're better off starting with a more modern dungeon crawler. (They're called Dungeon Crawlers now. The WRPG genre implies games like Witchery and Fallout these days.) If you have a DS or 3DS I would HIGHLY recommend the Etrian Odyssey series by Atlas. They use the touch screen as a cartography tool and are widely known for their soundtracks. With the EO series, the newer the game the generally more player friendly the game with Etrian Odyssey 2 Untold: The Fafnir Knight being the easiest.

Here's a sample of the delicious music:

And there's a little bit of gameplay in the Japanese trailer:

Old 12-24-2015, 05:22 PM   #4 (permalink)
Regular Poster
667 posts
ARedLetterDay has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!ARedLetterDay has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!ARedLetterDay has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!ARedLetterDay has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!ARedLetterDay has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!ARedLetterDay has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!ARedLetterDay has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!ARedLetterDay has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!ARedLetterDay has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!ARedLetterDay has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!ARedLetterDay has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!
View Stats
Send a message via AIM to ARedLetterDay Send a message via MSN to ARedLetterDay Send a message via Yahoo to ARedLetterDay Send a message via Skype™ to ARedLetterDay

I love the EO games, I've never played a full one, usually only a demo or at a friends house for a bit -- but I love the design and the world and music. I'll definitely pick them up if I ever find a cheap enough copy. Weirdly enough, despite me not being too great at dungeon crawlers, thus me getting bored with them, I'm pretty good at roguelikes and love them to death. I just don't know, man.

Thanks for the recs and tips though!

Games in Progress (Name [System, company, year released]: Location Ingame / Current Objective)

Old 12-24-2015, 11:40 PM   #5 (permalink)
MY TITLE IS RED!
26,061 posts
Dudebro has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Dudebro has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Dudebro has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Dudebro has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Dudebro has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Dudebro has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Dudebro has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Dudebro has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Dudebro has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Dudebro has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Dudebro has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!
View Stats
Points: 106,608, Level: 62 Points: 106,608, Level: 62 Points: 106,608, Level: 62
Level up: 80%
Level up: 80%, 4,142 Points needed Level up: 80% Level up: 80%

I've played a lot of dungeon crawlers over the years but it's not my favorite genre. It's not boredom or difficulty that gets me it's the first person perspective. I prefer it in shooters but for RPGs I like to see my character on screen and a weirdly animated portrait isn't cutting it.

I'm sick so I'm having trouble remembering stuff but I do recall a few of the ones I liked that are on RU-

Might And Magic 3: Isles Of Terra - Super Nintendo
I can't play it now it's just too clunky and weird but back in the day I loved it. I hear the PC version is much better.

Wizardry 5: Heart Of The Maelstrom - Super Nintendo
This was the first I played that was really hard. I remember the first night we played it we all stayed up until dawn and barely got anything done because we kept dying. It was pretty ugly and it was boring to watch someone else play.

Arcana - Super Nintendo
I remember this one being very linear but I enjoyed it. It's probably a very easy one to get into and finish.

My brother was really into Kings Field for PS1. I'm not entirely sure but I think it would be called a dungeon crawler. It looks like absolute shit now though. It was a spooky game though.
Old 12-24-2015, 11:42 PM   #6 (permalink)
Regular Poster
667 posts
View Stats

+1 (+1/-0)     

I love the King's Field games -- the ultimate precursor to the Souls line of games, next to Shadow Tower. Those I'm definitely much better at since they're more action oriented than stats and saving number rolls.

Comments

Kings Field 2 ftw

Old 01-09-2016, 06:50 AM   #7 (permalink)
Regular Poster
4,906 posts
RU Joe has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!RU Joe has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!RU Joe has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!RU Joe has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!RU Joe has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!RU Joe has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!RU Joe has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!RU Joe has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!RU Joe has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!RU Joe has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!RU Joe has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!
View Stats
Level: 41
Points: 28,434, Level: 41 Points: 28,434, Level: 41 Points: 28,434, Level: 41
Level up: 14%
Level up: 14%, 1,216 Points needed Level up: 14% Level up: 14%
Activity: 95%
Activity: 95% Activity: 95% Activity: 95%

I began playing Breath Of Fire 2: Retranslated recently and am having a great time.
Two steps forward, one step back is the way of it, but I'm getting there.

I kind of get annoyed at the fact that when newly found characters join your party they always start out at a much lower level than your main character and it's either level them up to make them stronger or spend most of your monster encounter battles healing them because they're so weak they're nearly dead with 1 hit.

So what I do is spend more time just wandering around in areas where enemies are easily beaten and/ or don't knock out your characters so you end up walking around with dead party members {and have all the more trouble with monster battles being short - handed} and level everyone up to a higher level before moving on to more difficult areas.

It's frustrating how, after spending so much time leveling characters up as well as spending huge amounts of money buying them new armor and weapons, they just leave your party without any warning at all aside from the current game objectives being satisfied.

Ultimately it's a well - balanced game with a great storyline, likeable characters, intuitive monster battle system {unlike the earlier RPG's which not only made you target each monster individually, but if the targeted monster got destroyed, all following attacks went to empty air, wasting turns and potentially losing the battle} , not too much need for searching {again, unlike earlier RPG's}, and an easily navigable world layout.
Townsfolk and other characters have funny and informative dialogue which also provides just the right amount of guidance so not to leave you wandering and searching for what should be done next.

Good game with lots of improvements over the first one, in my opinion.

Last edited by RU Joe; 01-09-2016 at 06:54 AM..
Scanty and Kneesocks with Otto Nightmare Team presents:
Your new nightmare XXVII:
( Click to show/hide )

The sudden realization you'd been doing something wrong without knowing it, then hoping it's not too late to fix it.

Old 01-09-2016, 11:32 AM   #8 (permalink)
Gao Gao Gao
Donor
Administrator
13,124 posts
Kugyince has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Kugyince has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Kugyince has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Kugyince has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Kugyince has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Kugyince has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Kugyince has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Kugyince has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Kugyince has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Kugyince has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Kugyince has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!
View Stats
Points: 108,679, Level: 62 Points: 108,679, Level: 62 Points: 108,679, Level: 62

It's been awhile since I've played BoF2 but can't you put your weaker characters in the back row which halves damage taken and causes them to be targeted less?

Old 01-09-2016, 08:15 PM   #9 (permalink)
Regular Poster
4,906 posts
RU Joe has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!RU Joe has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!RU Joe has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!RU Joe has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!RU Joe has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!RU Joe has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!RU Joe has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!RU Joe has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!RU Joe has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!RU Joe has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!RU Joe has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!
View Stats

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kugyince View Post
It's been awhile since I've played BoF2 but can't you put your weaker characters in the back row which halves damage taken and causes them to be targeted less?
Yes I suppose there is that, but I generally power though without changing game options.
My method takes quite a bit more time but beefing up the entire party is more my style:

^
Me, mildly annoyed.
But don't make me angry, you wouldn't want to see me when I'm angry.
( Click to show/hide )

The sudden realization you'd been doing something wrong without knowing it, then hoping it's not too late to fix it.

Old 01-09-2016, 10:14 PM   #10 (permalink)
Gao Gao Gao
Donor
Administrator
13,124 posts
View Stats

I mean, a lot of characters have ranged abilities that ignores row like magic or projectiles. Those characters should ALWAYS be in the back row anyways.

I understand though. You'd rather punch your way through the wall while complaining that your hand hurts the entire time.

Old 01-10-2016, 03:57 AM   #11 (permalink)
Regular Poster
4,906 posts
View Stats

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kugyince View Post
I mean, a lot of characters have ranged abilities that ignores row like magic or projectiles. Those characters should ALWAYS be in the back row anyways.

I understand though. You'd rather punch your way through the wall while complaining that your hand hurts the entire time.
I'm sure that switching the characters around and putting the weaker ones at the rear of the formation is a very good idea and would probably make the game go a lot quicker.
But ..

For me there is great pleasure in destroying Boss enemies while making them look weak.

'Crush your enemies, see them driven before you!'

CROM!
Count the dead~!
( Click to show/hide )