Retro Uprising
Chat Whatever.
Donation Goal
Goal amount: 5000 USD, Received: 489 USD (10%)
Donate Now
When we reach the current donation goal all software on Retro Uprising will be replaced with a new superior method for playing games online that will support all browsers, play many more games and consoles and fix errors in existing games. This will be a massive site upgrade. The largest in our history. Please help us reach our goal as soon as possible.

Retro Uprising relies on donations from users like you! List of Donors

Register to enable more features such as high score recording.

Go Back   Retro Uprising > Other > Chat

Old 04-11-2015, 10:06 AM   #1 (permalink)
Regular Poster
578 posts
Mikman play's well with othersMikman play's well with othersMikman play's well with others
View Stats
Level: 12
Points: 1,856, Level: 12 Points: 1,856, Level: 12 Points: 1,856, Level: 12
Level up: 72%
Level up: 72%, 144 Points needed Level up: 72% Level up: 72%
Activity: 0%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

fairy tale

Is anyone tired of fairy tale remakes? Movie studios continuously remake old fairy tales about Cinderella, Snow White and such, without any reason other than money. It's not like Star Wars or Marvel, where they add new movies to expand the universe. They just repeat the same story again and again. Were the first five times not enough? Couldn't they at least adapt fairy tales that aren't movies yet, and/or ones that aren't so "white"? I was never a big fan of these kinds of movies, but at least a different one that we haven't seen would be objectively good.
Old 04-11-2015, 10:38 AM   #2 (permalink)
Donor
62 posts
xtremelean is the posterchild for noob
View Stats
Level: 13
Points: 2,377, Level: 13 Points: 2,377, Level: 13 Points: 2,377, Level: 13
Level up: 84%
Level up: 84%, 73 Points needed Level up: 84% Level up: 84%

Re: fairy tale

I'm not tired of fairy tale remakes. I think when movie studios make remakes of these fairy tales it's to adapt to a new audience. But I do understand that it can get old, and sometimes remakes just don't hold up as the original did.

I really like those movies that are different from their usual fairy tales. One being Maleficent, based on Sleeping Beauty but told through the "villain's" point of view.
There's also stories which expand the universe of fairy tales. The Wolf Among Us (Not a movie, mind you) tells the story of fairy tale characters being put into the modern world and having to adapt, with other troubles.
My SignatureDisplay Signature Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2015, 02:58 PM   #3 (permalink)
MY TITLE IS RED!
26,061 posts
Dudebro has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Dudebro has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Dudebro has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Dudebro has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Dudebro has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Dudebro has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Dudebro has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Dudebro has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Dudebro has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Dudebro has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Dudebro has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!
View Stats
Level: 62
Points: 106,608, Level: 62 Points: 106,608, Level: 62 Points: 106,608, Level: 62
Level up: 80%
Level up: 80%, 4,142 Points needed Level up: 80% Level up: 80%

Yeah I've been tired of it for a long time, but I almost always dislike fairy tales. That being said I'd be pretty annoyed if they remade stuff like The Princess Bride, Legend, The Neverending Story or even Willow
Old 04-11-2015, 04:15 PM   #4 (permalink)
Regular Poster
578 posts
Mikman play's well with othersMikman play's well with othersMikman play's well with others
View Stats

But don't any other fairy tales exist besides what five they keep remaking? Do any non-European ones exist? Most of these stories are just about falling in love at the drop of a hat, which is poor and outdated character development in any other story.
Old 04-11-2015, 08:44 PM   #5 (permalink)
MY TITLE IS RED!
26,061 posts
Dudebro has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Dudebro has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Dudebro has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Dudebro has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Dudebro has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Dudebro has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Dudebro has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Dudebro has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Dudebro has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Dudebro has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Dudebro has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!
View Stats
Level: 62
Points: 106,608, Level: 62 Points: 106,608, Level: 62 Points: 106,608, Level: 62
Level up: 80%
Level up: 80%, 4,142 Points needed Level up: 80% Level up: 80%

Like I said before I'm not into the genre but I'm sure some are from other cultures and just adapted for US/European audiences.
Old 04-12-2015, 01:13 AM   #6 (permalink)
Regular Poster
4,906 posts
RU Joe has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!RU Joe has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!RU Joe has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!RU Joe has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!RU Joe has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!RU Joe has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!RU Joe has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!RU Joe has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!RU Joe has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!RU Joe has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!RU Joe has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!
View Stats
Level: 41
Points: 28,434, Level: 41 Points: 28,434, Level: 41 Points: 28,434, Level: 41
Level up: 14%
Level up: 14%, 1,216 Points needed Level up: 14% Level up: 14%
Activity: 95%
Activity: 95% Activity: 95% Activity: 95%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikman View Post
But don't any other fairy tales exist besides what five they keep remaking? Do any non-European ones exist?
Tell me about it! - I can't agree more!
Funny you should say about non - Euro stories; Cinderella is actually taken from an Asian story and if memory serves it involved a magic fish in place of the fairy godmother.
So taking this into account I say it's not much of a stretch to assume some other fables are ripped off from other cultures as well, like DB said.

Quote:
Most of these stories are just about falling in love at the drop of a hat, which is poor and outdated character development in any other story.
Don't forget the DEAD PARENTS, an apparent prerequisite for any serious fairy tale character !
Old 04-12-2015, 04:37 PM   #7 (permalink)
Regular Poster
578 posts
View Stats

I agree. The "dead parents" cliche is common to all genres, but this one adds that to other tropes, like how the older woman is jealous of the younger one, or how falling in love (which didn't always really happen among nobility as these stories present) is the only character motivation of the protagonists. I know that stories from older times naturally lack modern our values, but can't the general populace watch such a movie with a different story and/or character structure?
Old 04-13-2015, 12:03 AM   #8 (permalink)
Regular Poster
4,906 posts
RU Joe has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!RU Joe has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!RU Joe has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!RU Joe has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!RU Joe has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!RU Joe has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!RU Joe has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!RU Joe has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!RU Joe has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!RU Joe has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!RU Joe has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!
View Stats

Modern values?
Depending on who you ask, that could mean a whole lot of different things.

Imagine a Princess falling in love with another Princess living in a neighboring Kingdom; that sort of thing.
I'm not bashing Lesbians but only want to point out that the world has changed a lot since the days when fairy tales were being told.
{but I should add that homosexuality has always existed}
So what 'modern' values should / shouldn't be included in a re - telling of these fables?

Where character motivation and falling in love are concerned, I think this was to make the story appealing to the feminine mind, because girls and women generally gravitate toward romantic stories.
According to some women I've spoken to, this is because they know romance in real life is both hard to find and temporary at best - males are generally NOT very romantic.

Overall I think of fairy tales the same way I think of my beloved 1930's movies, that they are stories from another time and as such could not be easily adapted for modern audiences.
For example, it would be ludicrous for someone to try a modern remake of Bela Lugosi's The Phantom Creeps; the technology is laughable by today's standards, but from a 30's point of view, it was downright amazing.

---------- Post added at 11:03 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:41 PM ----------

This game is on the main page today; I figured it fits this thread perfectly:
Fairy Land Story » Coin Op
Old 04-14-2015, 08:58 AM   #9 (permalink)
Regular Poster
578 posts
View Stats

I meant that those stories don't have modern values and should show how people back then though.
Old 04-19-2015, 06:23 PM   #10 (permalink)
Regular Poster
4,906 posts
View Stats

Someone besides disney needs to make them then?
Just saying, but many stories/ fables are told in 'foriegn' films, that is, non - hollywood productions.
Ok maybe they aren't as honed as the ones coming out of the US but are great stories all the same.
Personally I get tired of the hollywood 'formula' and need to see different shows.
Old 04-21-2015, 09:18 AM   #11 (permalink)
Regular Poster
578 posts
View Stats

That's true, but many different types of people live in the US, not just white people. In fact, most Hollywood fairy tales seem to take place in Europe, not America, anyway.