Retro Uprising
Chat Whatever.
Donation Goal
Goal amount: 5000 USD, Received: 489 USD (10%)
Donate Now
When we reach the current donation goal all software on Retro Uprising will be replaced with a new superior method for playing games online that will support all browsers, play many more games and consoles and fix errors in existing games. This will be a massive site upgrade. The largest in our history. Please help us reach our goal as soon as possible.

Retro Uprising relies on donations from users like you! List of Donors

Register to enable more features such as high score recording.

Go Back   Retro Uprising > Other > Chat

View Poll Results: Do you exercise?
Yes 5 41.67%
No 2 16.67%
Sometimes 5 41.67%
Other {please specify} 0 0%
Voters: 12. You may not vote on this poll

Old 04-18-2016, 06:34 AM   #1 (permalink)
Regular Poster
4,906 posts
RU Joe has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!RU Joe has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!RU Joe has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!RU Joe has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!RU Joe has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!RU Joe has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!RU Joe has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!RU Joe has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!RU Joe has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!RU Joe has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!RU Joe has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!
View Stats
Level: 41
Points: 28,434, Level: 41 Points: 28,434, Level: 41 Points: 28,434, Level: 41
Level up: 14%
Level up: 14%, 1,216 Points needed Level up: 14% Level up: 14%
Activity: 95%
Activity: 95% Activity: 95% Activity: 95%

Exercise

I've been talking about exercise so much in the past few posts I figured why not make a thread about it.

IMPORTANT:

( Click to show/hide )

I am not a professional trainer of any kind, just an exercise enthusiast.
This thread is for RU members' entertainment and sharing purposes only, follow advice/ exercises posted here at your own risk.

Not all exercises are suitable for everyone, and any exercise program may result in injury.
To reduce the risk of injury, never force or strain.
Consult your doctor before starting any new exercise program.

So here we go, are you ready?

I cannot stress this enough:

When it comes to exercise, everyone is different and has their own unique abilities and weaknesses.
If you choose to attempt any exercises at all, do so within your own ability and try not to compete with others as this can lead to injury, especially if you are are just getting started and are not accustomed to doing any exercise.
Remember that Rome was not built in one day ; likewise you can't expect instant results from exercise nor should you force or 'push' yourself too hard at first because doing so almost guarantees injury.

Listen to your body! - I mean it!

If you feel anything uncomfortable while you are doing exercises, pay it heed because your body may be telling you something is wrong!

You will only get 1 or 2 'sharp' pains, twinges , or other odd feelings before you pull, tear, or rip tendon or muscle; if you do feel a sharp pain or twinge it's best to stop whatever you're doing , and reduce the intensity during the next session.
Yes, you need to work hard if you're trying to tone or build mass, but it's safer to make increases in reps or weight gradually over time, once you've mastered what you're doing presently.

As with cooking, preparation is the key to success when exercising.
Make certain that your muscles are warmed up and you have stretched properly before starting your exercises, this will not only allow you to do more but it also helps prevent injuries.

The worst thing about injury is that during the time it takes you to recover, you are losing what you have gained up to that point, so take the extra time, warm up and stretch - it's well worth it.

Me:
I do speed walking as much as possible as I go about my daily routine and never ride in a vehicle of any kind unless absolutely necessary.
I use an assortment of weights, springs, and elastics for toning and building strength and I also practice Kung Fu and Boxing.

What do you guys do?
My SignatureDisplay Signature Reply With Quote
Scanty and Kneesocks with Otto Nightmare Team presents:
Your new nightmare XXVII:
( Click to show/hide )

The sudden realization you'd been doing something wrong without knowing it, then hoping it's not too late to fix it.

Old 04-18-2016, 11:20 AM   #2 (permalink)
Gao Gao Gao
Donor
Administrator
13,124 posts
Kugyince has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Kugyince has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Kugyince has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Kugyince has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Kugyince has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Kugyince has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Kugyince has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Kugyince has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Kugyince has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Kugyince has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Kugyince has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!
View Stats
Level: 62
Points: 108,679, Level: 62 Points: 108,679, Level: 62 Points: 108,679, Level: 62
Level up: 90%
Level up: 90%, 2,071 Points needed Level up: 90% Level up: 90%
Activity: 0%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

+1 (+1/-0)     
Re: Exercise

Fucking is the best kind of exercise.

Comments

I couldn't agree more!

Old 04-18-2016, 07:59 PM   #3 (permalink)
Regular Poster
11,093 posts
stevencassidy13 has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!stevencassidy13 has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!stevencassidy13 has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!stevencassidy13 has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!stevencassidy13 has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!stevencassidy13 has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!stevencassidy13 has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!stevencassidy13 has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!stevencassidy13 has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!stevencassidy13 has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!stevencassidy13 has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!
View Stats
Level: 60
Points: 66,582, Level: 60 Points: 66,582, Level: 60 Points: 66,582, Level: 60
Level up: 62%
Level up: 62%, 3,868 Points needed Level up: 62% Level up: 62%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kugyince View Post
Frig that, solo sessions are where it's at. Wife goes out of town, hook the computer up to the big screen, close all the curtains, drag the lazyboy into the centre of the room, get completely naked and edge for 3 hours, that shit is MAJOR cardio.

Last edited by stevencassidy13; 04-18-2016 at 08:15 PM..
kong on Bronies:

"Of the 75% that are straight I would bet at least 10% would rather have a cheeseburger than a girlfriend."
Old 04-18-2016, 10:02 PM   #4 (permalink)
MY TITLE IS RED!
26,061 posts
Dudebro has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Dudebro has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Dudebro has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Dudebro has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Dudebro has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Dudebro has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Dudebro has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Dudebro has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Dudebro has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Dudebro has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Dudebro has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!
View Stats
Points: 106,608, Level: 62 Points: 106,608, Level: 62 Points: 106,608, Level: 62
Level up: 80%
Level up: 80%, 4,142 Points needed Level up: 80% Level up: 80%

^

I mainly just walk. I usually push a small person in front of me and hills really kill me. I don't push myself into the heart attack zone but I definitely feel the burn. I figure it's pretty decent exercise if I do it semi daily.
Old 04-18-2016, 10:13 PM   #5 (permalink)
Regular Poster
3,704 posts
elrod21 has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!elrod21 has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!elrod21 has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!elrod21 has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!elrod21 has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!elrod21 has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!elrod21 has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!elrod21 has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!elrod21 has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!elrod21 has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!elrod21 has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!
View Stats
Level: 32
Points: 15,818, Level: 32 Points: 15,818, Level: 32 Points: 15,818, Level: 32
Level up: 34%
Level up: 34%, 732 Points needed Level up: 34% Level up: 34%

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevencassidy13 View Post
Frig that, solo sessions are where it's at. Wife goes out of town, hook the computer up to the big screen, close all the curtains, drag the lazyboy into the centre of the room, get completely naked and edge for 3 hours, that shit is MAJOR cardio.
But Cass you don't get to as many muscle groups as with a session with a partner and you can keep it going a long time if you know how.
Old 04-18-2016, 11:00 PM   #6 (permalink)
Regular Poster
2,067 posts
TodayIsForgotten has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!TodayIsForgotten has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!TodayIsForgotten has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!TodayIsForgotten has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!TodayIsForgotten has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!TodayIsForgotten has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!TodayIsForgotten has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!TodayIsForgotten has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!TodayIsForgotten has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!TodayIsForgotten has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!TodayIsForgotten has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!
View Stats
Level: 24
Points: 8,460, Level: 24 Points: 8,460, Level: 24 Points: 8,460, Level: 24
Level up: 52%
Level up: 52%, 390 Points needed Level up: 52% Level up: 52%
Activity: 99%
Activity: 99% Activity: 99% Activity: 99%

Quote:
Originally Posted by RU Joe View Post

Yes, you need to work hard if you're trying to tone or build mass, but it's safer to make increases in reps or weight gradually over time, once you've mastered what you're doing presently.
FTFY. Toning is building muscle.

Agree with warming in a sense. Its better to get the muscles acclimated to a workout by doing a warm-up set of light weight. Muscles work better when warm in lifting. You can go in cold but when your lifting heavy it may take the 3rd or 4th working set for you to push the weight easier.

Diet is a huge part of losing weight. I do not mean eating healthy, but eating less than your maintenance weight and following a macro count is helpful on whether or not you can fit in that ice cream tonight.

I lift heavy. I don't know if anyone cares to see my routine but it is generally a super-set workout session where i am doing one body part a night; back-to-back. Exercises are in the 6-10 rep range with rest in-between those sets. I will at times work in other sets of other body parts during rest.

I walk quite a bit in the city and may or may not continue the session i did last night of a 6 mile stretch of jogging, wind sprints and fast walking.

As for odd noises and "sensations" if you do feel pain stop the exercise and drop down to a lighter weight or remove it all together until body part heals. I have clicking noises and ligament shifting during some movements. This has never hurt or impaired me. Certain exercises (i'm talking to you incline shoulder press) put extreme pressure on joints or ligaments or whatever. Almost as if something were going to pop. Never any pain. So, things like that, which are common are OK.

Last edited by TodayIsForgotten; 04-18-2016 at 11:02 PM..

2015 Yolympics Champs - Team Penis
Old 04-18-2016, 11:12 PM   #7 (permalink)
Regular Poster
4,906 posts
RU Joe has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!RU Joe has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!RU Joe has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!RU Joe has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!RU Joe has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!RU Joe has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!RU Joe has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!RU Joe has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!RU Joe has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!RU Joe has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!RU Joe has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!
View Stats

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kugyince View Post

I don't know what you mean, is that some kind of Kung Fu, maybe from Fuk Hing Province in China?

SC:
Quote:
Remember to switch hands after 1 1/2 hours to avoid muscle strain.

DB:

Quote:
I mainly just walk. I usually push a small person in front of me and hills really kill me. I don't push myself into the heart attack zone but I definitely feel the burn. I figure it's pretty decent exercise if I do it semi daily.
Excellent, low impact exercise is my favorite.
You aren't likely to have a heart attack from walking unless it's an exceptionally hot summer day and you're speed walking up a very steep hill; I've heard of many incidents involving exactly those things so I avoid that situation myself.
Moderation is as important as stretching and warming up.

Elrod:
Quote:
But Cass you don't get to as many muscle groups as with a session with a partner and you can keep it going a long time if you know how.
Or until she utters the magic words:

( Click to show/hide )

TIF
I agree that toning is building muscle in a way but I was getting at the difference between people who do Yoga and light lifting and those who lift heavy like yourself.
I suppose cold starts are Ok if you're used to it; after all animals are ultra - powerful and they never warm up.

Diet is very important and while I'm not an advocate of it I have talked to people who go to the Gym regularly and those same people eat Fast Food all the time.
So I suppose it's an individual thing and you need to know your own body, but the bottom line is getting those nutrients in as much as possible.
I eat a lot of vegetables, mainly greens.

I have odd pops in joints and ligaments but this is entirely different from sharp pains; speaking from experience, sharp pains are warning signals from your body, just be careful.

TODAY was 'Boxing Day' for me and so I did a 400 rep arm and shoulder warmup, followed by 3000 punches cardio shadow boxing, then some springs, then some weights, then elastics, then the ab wheel, then some more springs .. then I remembered what I told you guys at the beginning of this thread: Rome was not built in one day .

And that is the major problem with me: I may not be the strongest but I have an extra helping or 2 of endurance - and that is what gets me into trouble, since I don't know when to stop.
This is the result of years working on construction sites where, while the other guys were standing around talking BS about the new stripper at the bar, sports, their truck, etc. I just kept on working and working .. so the Boss made me the Foreman.
The other guys couldn't understand why.

Last edited by RU Joe; 04-18-2016 at 11:35 PM..
( Click to show/hide )

The sudden realization you'd been doing something wrong without knowing it, then hoping it's not too late to fix it.

Old 04-19-2016, 02:21 AM   #8 (permalink)
Regular Poster
11,093 posts
stevencassidy13 has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!stevencassidy13 has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!stevencassidy13 has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!stevencassidy13 has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!stevencassidy13 has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!stevencassidy13 has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!stevencassidy13 has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!stevencassidy13 has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!stevencassidy13 has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!stevencassidy13 has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!stevencassidy13 has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!
View Stats

I would use sex as exercise, but I'm a two pump chump. I don't know man once it gets in there forget about it I'm done.

I would like to exercise, I'll go for a brisk walk when my stress levels get too high... just seems like my lifestyle is too exhausting already.
kong on Bronies:

"Of the 75% that are straight I would bet at least 10% would rather have a cheeseburger than a girlfriend."
Old 04-19-2016, 04:32 AM   #9 (permalink)
Regular Poster
222 posts
Ballas radiates charm and wit like a freakin' piece of uranium made of genetically altered super monkey brainsBallas radiates charm and wit like a freakin' piece of uranium made of genetically altered super monkey brainsBallas radiates charm and wit like a freakin' piece of uranium made of genetically altered super monkey brainsBallas radiates charm and wit like a freakin' piece of uranium made of genetically altered super monkey brainsBallas radiates charm and wit like a freakin' piece of uranium made of genetically altered super monkey brainsBallas radiates charm and wit like a freakin' piece of uranium made of genetically altered super monkey brainsBallas radiates charm and wit like a freakin' piece of uranium made of genetically altered super monkey brainsBallas radiates charm and wit like a freakin' piece of uranium made of genetically altered super monkey brainsBallas radiates charm and wit like a freakin' piece of uranium made of genetically altered super monkey brainsBallas radiates charm and wit like a freakin' piece of uranium made of genetically altered super monkey brains
View Stats
Points: 8,212, Level: 24 Points: 8,212, Level: 24 Points: 8,212, Level: 24
Level up: 21%
Level up: 21%, 638 Points needed Level up: 21% Level up: 21%
Activity: 15%
Activity: 15% Activity: 15% Activity: 15%
Send a message via Skype™ to Ballas

+1 (+1/-0)     

Hey guys! I have been gymming 5 days a week for 7 months now. I dont use supplements but I do eat properly. And then occationally I will do a 21km race. Did 32km the other day but almost died. 21km is so much better, did one on Sunday in 2:00:06. I weigh 98 kg so I'm not a born runner. Below is before and after.

Comments

Awesome job
Attached Thumbnails
1.jpg  2.jpg  

Last edited by Ballas; 04-19-2016 at 04:40 AM..
Koos van Dyk (KVD)
aka Ballas

When someone says "STOP"
I never know if its IN THE NAME OF LOVE,
HAMMERTIME, or if I am supposed to
COLLABERATE AND LISTEN...
Old 04-19-2016, 08:28 AM   #10 (permalink)
Regular Poster
4,906 posts
View Stats

Quote:
I would use sex as exercise,
Earlier when Ten mentioned this I made a joke out of it, but actually he is quite right as you can burn lots of calories and get considerable exercise at the same time, depending on what kind of uh .. activities you engage in . .

( Click to show/hide )

Quote:
but I'm a two pump chump.

As nature intended, I say.
Just as long as the 'score' is satisfactory to both parties {or however many, I don't judge} lest people get upset ..

( Click to show/hide )

( Click to show/hide )

( Click to show/hide )

Quote:
I would like to exercise, I'll go for a brisk walk when my stress levels get too high... just seems like my lifestyle is too exhausting already.
Sounds like you have the motivation but not the time or energy.
This is probably the most common reason {not excuse} people have for not exercising.
I guess what I'm saying is, just do what you can when you can.

Actually ... that's one of the things that got me into speed walking in the first place; I got fed up of riding buses, I was pissed off at the other passengers' behavior in general, and at having to pay so so much to ride in the first place {even with a monthly pass, they're gouging you}

Being overweight and out of shape, one day I said FUCK IT, I'm not getting on that goddamned stinking bus, I'm walking ~!

{then got pissed off that most people on the sidewalk are a bunch of slow - asses, but that's another story}

Started getting exercise from day 1, discovered the simple pleasure of taking side streets with trees to get where I'm going, quit drinking pop, cut right back on sweets and snack foods, lost what seemed like 100 lbs {it wasn't} and felt so so much better.
Now it seems I'm addicted to speed walking but I don't see that as a bad thing unless you count how I rip through shoes.

Ballas:
Quote:
I have been gymming 5 days a week for 7 months now. I dont use supplements but I do eat properly.
Excellent~!
I don't use supplements either {mainly because they're so damn expensive} but I can see you're getting good results.
Quote:
And then occationally I will do a 21km race. Did 32km the other day but almost died.
21km is so much better, did one on Sunday in 2:00:06.
Congratulations on your achievement but also on your sensible decision to stick with a tolerable distance.
I don't think I could run that much {even 21 km} as I have respiratory issues and would probably get winded and pass out.

Last edited by RU Joe; 04-19-2016 at 08:41 AM..
( Click to show/hide )

Old 04-19-2016, 09:46 AM   #11 (permalink)
MY TITLE IS RED!
26,061 posts
Dudebro has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Dudebro has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Dudebro has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Dudebro has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Dudebro has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Dudebro has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Dudebro has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Dudebro has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Dudebro has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Dudebro has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Dudebro has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!
View Stats
Points: 106,608, Level: 62 Points: 106,608, Level: 62 Points: 106,608, Level: 62
Level up: 80%
Level up: 80%, 4,142 Points needed Level up: 80% Level up: 80%

Quote:
I would use sex as exercise, but I'm a two pump chump. I don't know man once it gets in there forget about it I'm done.
Do a solo session at some point before the big event. Think about things that turn you off during it. They even sell condoms that kind of numb the sensation, they can numb too much though and then it kills the mood. Also I've heard your stamina goes up the more you get in shape. I dunno about that last one though since I've never really been in great shape. Maybe ask Ballas
Old 04-19-2016, 05:12 PM   #12 (permalink)
Gao Gao Gao
Donor
Administrator
13,124 posts
Kugyince has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Kugyince has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Kugyince has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Kugyince has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Kugyince has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Kugyince has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Kugyince has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Kugyince has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Kugyince has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Kugyince has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Kugyince has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!
View Stats
Points: 108,679, Level: 62 Points: 108,679, Level: 62 Points: 108,679, Level: 62
Level up: 90%
Level up: 90%, 2,071 Points needed Level up: 90% Level up: 90%

Quote:
Don't skip leg day.

Old 05-05-2016, 07:05 AM   #13 (permalink)
Regular Poster
4,906 posts
View Stats

Still at it, making progress.

I'm sort of almost kinda ready to jump from the 3000 shadowboxing punches to 4000 {with the goal being 10 000} since the last couple of times I did the 3k, I was like:

'That's it? - no more?'

Backed off 10lbs. on my bar, it was a bit too much when trying to get it over my head for shoulder and military press.
I increased warmup exercises so that's probably why.
So right now it's got a whopping 20lbs. on it , {plus 45lbs for the bar itself} and this allows me to get a lot more reps in.

I just got a new {used} piece of equipment - a pull - up bar~!
Honestly, I haven't done any pull - ups in a longtime, too long .. just thinking about it reminds me so much of ...

NSFW
( Click to show/hide )

Get up there - pull! - pull, Pyle, PULL!
One pull - up Pyle, c'mon PULL!
You gotta be shittin' me Pyle, get your ass up there!

DO YOU MEAN TO TELL ME THAT YOU CANNOT DO ONE SINGLE PULL - UP?
YOU ARE A WORTHLESS PIECE OF SHIT, PYLE
GET OUT OF MY FACE
!!

( Click to show/hide )

I just love that Sgt. Hartman character from Full Metal Jacket, I often imagine him in my mind when I need extra motivation.

... so it's going to be a process .. and until I'm ready, I'm using the bar for leg - lifts {abominable exercises}, and by attaching elastics to it, I can also do some pull - down exercises.

---------- Post added 05-05-2016 at 06:05 AM ---------- Previous post was 04-30-2016 at 09:23 AM ----------

I'm up to 4000 cardio punches now ~ I know it's not much compared to what other people do nowadays, but to an old fart like me, it's awesome.
Don't worry, I haven't stopped there and intend to increase to 5000 in a few weeks, once I have the 4k completely mastered.

NSFW
( Click to show/hide )

What I've {re} learned is that breath control is essential

and the first time I tried the 4k I was out of breath at the end, and had a stitch in my side the like of which I haven't felt since back when I was in a swimming club years ago doing endurance laps.

ANYHOW
It's good to see so many people taking their health seriously nowadays, and the attitude toward exercise in general has come 180 degrees about from the way it was when I was young {back in the 70's - 80's}

Beer or other alcoholic beverage in one hand, cigarette in the other seemed to be the exercise of choice back then.
Anyone who ate well and exercised regularly were made fun of and labelled 'granola crunchers' , 'health freaks' , etc.

But right now I want to talk about you guys some more:

Ten:
Quote:
Don't skip leg day.
Leg exercises are very good but let's face it, most people seem to concentrate on the upper body and abs {core strength} since they are promoted heavily in entertainment and advertising as being attractive.
For us older guys {and maybe some of the girls too} the butt is one of the first areas of the body to deteriorate and the lower glutes start to sag as they become weak from lack of exercise.

DB,
this is probably why you're having a hard time making it up hills, but not to blame you personally Ok?
WE are living in a 'sit - down' society, with TV and the Internet beckoning us to park it for hours on end while we are entertained.
May I recommend some simple leg {butt} exercises which can be done without any equipment, and here's an inspirational video outlining some of them:

NSFW
( Click to show/hide )

If I can do it, you can do it.
Try them out for a few weeks and you should see some improvement~!

TIF:
Quote:
Diet is a huge part of losing weight. I do not mean eating healthy, but eating less than your maintenance weight and following a macro count is helpful on whether or not you can fit in that ice cream tonight.
Diet in terms of watching how much you eat is important, and with food readily available most of the time and advertisements everywhere designed to make us want to eat {psychologically speaking} it's hard to keep our heads out of the ol' feed bag.

Eating healthy seems to mean different things to people.
For me, with my family history {genetics} I have to watch out for things like diabetes so that means little or no sugar {I have 3 spoons in my 1 daily cup of coffee, that's it}, only occasional snack foods and basically no added salt or sugar with meals as we get lots hidden in foods we buy anyway.
Other than that I'm mostly vegetarian and find it makes me feel better than when I eat meat or cheese .. yet I still enjoy a Vera's burger about once a month.
The tongue is a mouth - demon designed to lead us astray, I'm convinced of this.

Please tell us more about 'macro count' - I've heard of it but don't know what it is.

Ice cream?

I used to love the stuff and had a small addiction to Breyers' vanilla with strong coffee poured over top .. or a milkshake made of the two .. this is probably where my spare tire came from in the first place.

Quote:
I lift heavy. I don't know if anyone cares to see my routine but it is generally a super-set workout session where i am doing one body part a night; back-to-back. Exercises are in the 6-10 rep range with rest in-between those sets. I will at times work in other sets of other body parts during rest.
Of course we care - please tell us, and in the telling you may inspire other RU members to start exercising too.
Good point about working adjacent muscle groups, it's a very good method especially when trying to build mass, which I'm guessing you are.
Nothing like that feel of tight muscle groups working along side each other.

Quote:
I walk quite a bit in the city and may or may not continue the session i did last night of a 6 mile stretch of jogging, wind sprints and fast walking.
Excellent~!
Please forgive if it's a stupid question but are 'wind sprints' simply 'running like the wind' for a ways?
I think you should continue the sessions; I've been keeping with and increasing my exercise program a few months now and am very happy with the results.
Also if you're trying to keep your weight in check remember that muscle weighs more than fat does, so don't let that scale fool you.

Last edited by RU Joe; 05-05-2016 at 07:10 AM..
( Click to show/hide )

Old 05-05-2016, 12:20 PM   #14 (permalink)
Regular Poster
5,047 posts
CatalystiCam has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!CatalystiCam has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!CatalystiCam has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!CatalystiCam has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!CatalystiCam has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!CatalystiCam has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!CatalystiCam has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!CatalystiCam has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!CatalystiCam has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!CatalystiCam has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!CatalystiCam has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!
View Stats
Level: 43
Points: 32,311, Level: 43 Points: 32,311, Level: 43 Points: 32,311, Level: 43
Level up: 91%
Level up: 91%, 139 Points needed Level up: 91% Level up: 91%

Never really enjoyed exercise without purpose. Meaning exercise that is just say a workout. I've done it, but I much prefer actually getting involved in a sport and having that be the motivations for exercising.

If I'm just running for example, then it's hard to keep motivated to keep going. Though music helps immensely. If I'm playing hockey however. It involves a lot of running or skating depending on what version, and I now focus on the game enough to push myself really far, and ususually get a lot of exercise as a result.

What about without being in a sport? I tend to try to take some buds, or just go to the park on my own and just casually play some street hockey, meaning I just bring a bucket of hockey balls and shoot them around and stuff. Used to do the same thing at outdoor rinks in Edmonton, but of course it doesn't snow in Lower BC.

In the summer time, I swim a lot at the lake, wakeboard, water ski and stuff.
Old 05-05-2016, 11:25 PM   #15 (permalink)
Regular Poster
4,906 posts
View Stats

Quote:
Originally Posted by Japandering View Post
Never really enjoyed exercise without purpose. Meaning exercise that is just say a workout. I've done it, but I much prefer actually getting involved in a sport and having that be the motivations for exercising.

If I'm just running for example, then it's hard to keep motivated to keep going. Though music helps immensely. If I'm playing hockey however. It involves a lot of running or skating depending on what version, and I now focus on the game enough to push myself really far, and ususually get a lot of exercise as a result.

What about without being in a sport? I tend to try to take some buds, or just go to the park on my own and just casually play some street hockey, meaning I just bring a bucket of hockey balls and shoot them around and stuff. Used to do the same thing at outdoor rinks in Edmonton, but of course it doesn't snow in Lower BC.

In the summer time, I swim a lot at the lake, wakeboard, water ski and stuff.
You've certainly got a great group of exercises going for yourself, well done~!

I understand what you mean about sports being great inspiration to get exercise, and Ice Hockey is probably one of the most demanding.
Until I read your post I forgot what playing on a team was like {I used to enjoy Soccer many years ago} and certainly the drive to win while thwarting the opposing team generates furious action, even during a friendly game.

Watersports are all excellent exercise, no matter which.
Even playing Water Polo in a shallow pool can be great.

Now let me be honest and admit that simply 'working out' , meaning those exercises people generally do at the Gym, can be boring at times.

Compared with Sports, there are no real goals which you do not make yourself unless you're following a circuit or a similar group of exercises with sets and reps.
On the other hand, being free of the competitive factor inherent in most Sports is just what people like myself need.
The motivation to keep at it comes from within, but no one else is left to be disappointed or put out if I fall short at times.

( Click to show/hide )

Old 05-06-2016, 02:40 AM   #16 (permalink)
Regular Poster
11,093 posts
View Stats

It's funny, when I was a kid I could do sit-ups indefinitely. I remember doing like 45 and solidifying first place in my class, and I wasn't even close to tired. The gym teacher stopped me, but I felt like I could have done 1000 more.
kong on Bronies:

Old 05-07-2016, 12:49 AM   #17 (permalink)
Regular Poster
2,067 posts
TodayIsForgotten has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!TodayIsForgotten has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!TodayIsForgotten has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!TodayIsForgotten has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!TodayIsForgotten has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!TodayIsForgotten has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!TodayIsForgotten has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!TodayIsForgotten has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!TodayIsForgotten has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!TodayIsForgotten has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!TodayIsForgotten has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!
View Stats
Points: 8,460, Level: 24 Points: 8,460, Level: 24 Points: 8,460, Level: 24
Level up: 52%
Level up: 52%, 390 Points needed Level up: 52% Level up: 52%
Activity: 99%
Activity: 99% Activity: 99% Activity: 99%

In response to Joe and this is a bit long. I also got tired of writing this near the beginning. I’m 5’6 162lbs currently. Supposed to be on a cut but ive been eating like a shithead the last 2 weeks.

Macros are a combination of Fats, Proteins and Carbs. When finding your TDEE and tweaking to find your maintenance levels you would then allot portions to each macro. As an example of a 2000 calorie diet would keep a person at 160lbs. One would then add or subtract 500 calories depending on if they were cutting or bulking. In order to achieve an optimal weight loss or weight gain you would then break your calories into something like
the following and assuming 1500 calories for a cut.

20% of calories from fat (33.3g = 300 calories)
60% of calories from Proteins (225g = 900 calories)
20% of calories from Carbs (75g = 300 calories)

A lot of people will say .8 - 1 gram of protein per lean body weight but ive been sticking between 120-160g myself and i weight around 160.

My workouts generally consist of one body part per day and legs throw in on certain days. Which consists of leg presses, lunges and calve raises. I do not do squats or deadlifts due to having two hernias and its completely psychological.

My routine is the same but never the same days. This is where i am currently at. All weights are in lbs and follows reps x weight.

Bench

Flat Bench

10x135
10x185
6x225
3x240 (no spotter)

Cable Flies
10 x 35
6-8 x 42.5
6-8 x 42.5
6-8 x 35
followed by a drop of as many as I can do at 20 pounds focusing on crossing my hands over one another to really hit the inside of my chest.

Dumbbell Incline/Bar Bell
DB
60x10
65x8
70x8
75x6

Seated Flies
I really focus on form with this machine
Not really sure of the numbers I stay between 130-170lbs

Seated Cable Press
I will super set this with seated cable flies. This has two straps on cables that you can press.

Decline Machine/Bench

Whatever I have left in the tank. I usually just use machine and try to get as many plates as possible. I’m at 3 45s and 1 25 for 5 to 6 reps or maybe its 3 45s and 1 10.

Triceps
I will do over head cable extensions with a V-bar and sometimes a rope extended out at the top of the contraction. I do these for 6-10 reps depending on the weight. A typical workout would look something like this with V-bar

warmup: 10x50
Working sets: 2 10 x65
Working Sets 3 10 x72.5
Working Sets 4 6 x87.5

This is followed up immediately but in alternating sets with one-arm cable pull downs with just the cable. This involves locking the elbow close to your hip and starting around the chest level and pull down without moving the elbow from its locked position. I try to extend just before locking out my elbow so that there is always tension on the cable.

Warmup: 10 x15
Working Set 1: 8 x20
Working Set 2: 8 x20
Working Set 3: 6 x25

Incline bench Press

I love this exercise and no need to kill your wrists by gripping too close. I use the gnarled markers where the barbell is smooth and contrasts into gnarled as my guide. I wrap my "ring" fingers around the gnarled/smooth piece. This saves your wrists from bending out or in and gives the same activation on the tris as going closer.

Warmup: 135 x10
Working Set 1: 155 x10
Working Set 2: 175 x 10
Working Set 3: 185/195 x 6-8

Overhead Dumb Bell Extension
I finish off my exercise with this routine. I have some shoulder issues so i to do a modified version of this where exaggerate the motion as if you were trying to scratch the top of your back. Keeping the elbow close to your ears depending on the arm your using and only extending the forearm up and focusing on extending at the top.

Warm up: 10 x20
Working Set 1: 20 x10
Working Set 2: 25 x10
Working Set 3: 30 x6-8

Biceps
Since I have messed up my fore arm/elbow area I try my best on this

Dumb Bell Curls
I focus on a slow down and moderate up motion. Always keeping the elbows slightly in front of my hip thus not allowing my arms to full extend and again keeping tension throughout the range of motion.
Warmup: 15/20 x10
Working Set 1: 30 x10
Working Set 2: 40 x8
Working Set 3: 45 x4 into a drop set of 30 x 5, 20 x 5, 15 x 5

A drop set being once you can no longer bang out reps at the current weight, drop the weight and go almost to failure.

Hammer Curls

Warmup: 15 x10
Working Set: 10 x25
Working Set: 8 x30
Working Set: 6 x35

Cable Bicep Curls
I use a different variation here. I set the cables to the max height. I use a metal handle bar with no give. I focus on gripping the bar with my pinky and ring finger. The motion on this is you start with your fist up, as if you were giving a thumbs up. As you pull the weight towards you, you’re rotation your wrist and at the and you’re focusing on twisting to peak the bicep. The elbow only be moving vertically. You want to focus on moving your elbow up to help the arm go behind the head, as well. It doesn’t take much weight to burn out on this one
For these my goal is to hit 8 reps and increase weight. On certain body parts I have a prolonged rep range where I am doing 4 sets as, x10 x10 x10 and maybe x6 on the last set.

Warmup: 15 x10
Working Set 1: 20 x8
Working Set 2: 20 x8
Working Set 3: 20/25 x5-8

Preacher Curls
I usually use the machine for this unless I have a partner. I focus on one arm at a time. My sets look something like:
10 x60
8 x70
6 x70
6 x70

Seated Curls
10 x30
6 x35
6 x35
6 x35

Hammer Curls with Rope
Whatever

Back

Lat Pulldowns (slow contraction and fully extend at the top position).
10x125
10x135
8x155
5x175

Rows
10x120
10x130
8x140
6x160

Machine seated Lawnmowers

45LB on each side x10
45LB and 25LB on each side x 10
2 45LB on each side x 6 (for 3rd and 4th sets)

Pushdown (don’t know the name but I love this exercise)
Involves a cable and a straight bar (preferred). With the bar in hand step back back to extend cable. Keep back straight and bend slightly at the knees. The Bar should be around shoulder height. Focus on pushing the bar down with your back while keeping arms straight or close to straight. The bar should arch down to your thigh area. Slowly bring back up.

10x42.5
10x50
8x55
6x60
Sometimes I’ll do bench lawn mowers as an extra set

Shoulders – Hate them because I have shoulder issues but no pain

Shoulder raises
I use a thumbs up handle on this one otherwise I get clicking of the shoulders. I focus really reaching out in front of me. One arm at a time.
15x10
20x10
25x10
30x6-8

Shoulder Press (machine)

45 on each side x 10
2 45s on each side x 10
2 45s and 1 25 on each side x 8
3 45s on each side x 6-8 (sometimes add a 10 on each side depending on where I am in the rep range).

Seated Butterflies Superset
I’m not sure of the name of this exercise. You are seated and the handls are positioned around nipple width apart. You would then pull towards your body as if you were opening a curtain. This exercise is done in succession with the Machine Side Raises.
10x100
8x110
6x120
6x100

Machine Side Raises Superset

10 x 40
10 x 50
8 x 60
6 x 70

Last edited by TodayIsForgotten; 05-07-2016 at 12:54 AM..

2015 Yolympics Champs - Team Penis
Old 05-07-2016, 01:03 AM   #18 (permalink)
Regular Poster
11,093 posts
View Stats

Do you have a shrine to Zyzz?
kong on Bronies:

Old 05-07-2016, 04:22 AM   #19 (permalink)
Regular Poster
4,906 posts
View Stats

Quote:
It's funny, when I was a kid I could do sit-ups indefinitely. I remember doing like 45 and solidifying first place in my class, and I wasn't even close to tired. The gym teacher stopped me, but I felt like I could have done 1000 more.
Those exercises you did when you were young gave you a head start on things you may do now; it seems peoples' muscles have a 'memory' of sorts and it's very easy to re - gain that strength even later on in life.
I remember people who could do that 'Canada Fitness Test' with ease in school and were rewarded bronze, silver, or gold depending on their levels of fitness according to the official guidelines;

I always got the last one, indicating my lack thereof {according to those tests}.
Oddly enough I could swim at the local pool for hours and whined when it was time to go home.

TIF, thanks for explaining the 'macro count' - I had no idea these things were so complex but if it works, maybe I should pay it some attention in the future.

Your workout routine is amazing, just amazing.
That one set you indicated 'no spotter'; I certainly don't mean to tell you what to do but it sounds kinda dangerous and I hope there is at least someone in the vicinity to help you just in case one arm gives out or w/e.
Just saying - it happened to me once and it was no fun.

I notice most of the exercises you increase weight as you go - good plan, it makes perfect sense to me. .
Most of the time I decrease until failure but most certainly I'm going to attempt increases myself.

I'm a shortass, 170cm and 64kg.
Most people including women are taller than I am; I just don't pay it much mind at all.
Considering I was just over 3lbs when I was born I say I've improved somewhat.

I use elastics {those kind used in Aerobics and such, 6 different tensions ranging from teeny weeny to friggin' huge} and springs of various configurations such as the 'Power Twister' {huge spring with handles on either side you bend - no idea how many kg but it took me over a month to get used to it} ,

the 'Chest Developer' {tension springs - I have 2 of these set up at different tensions},

and even one gadget specifically set up for doing Rowing that has stirrups for your feet.

< mine has a huge spring instead of the bands.

Other than that I have a set of solid Dumbells {3- 30lbs, plus a set of elevator weights rated at 20kg} and an Olympic straight bar with a full set of weights.
I lift / use what I feel I can during a given workout session, but I have increased my average over time.
For my grip I use a pair of 12 X 12 'Solar' concrete blocks I hold by the top with thumb and fingertips until failure; these weigh around 20lbs each.
'Ab wheel' and leg lifts in combination with the old 'knees to elbows' , 'stomach vaccuum' and similar exercises for the midsection.

And while I'm speaking of midsection, I also noticed you mentioned you have 2 hernias; are these confirmed by a Doctor?
If so please get them taken care of {surgery} as they may actually be life threatening depending on their severity and location.
That being said, I have 1 weak area in the abs on one side which is NOT a hernia; perhaps this is what you have too?

ON THAT NOTE, I did have a really bad hernia years ago in the lower abs I acquired when I was about 10 years old while trying to lift a manhole cover on the street = we were kids, and curiosity got the better of us as to what was down there.
By the way, this had nothing to do with the 'Teenage Mutant Hero / Ninja Turtles' as they were still 7 years away at that time.

Went most of my life with it unhindered but upon request of my Doctor had the surgery done - and regarding hernias this is most important:

If it turns out that you {or any other RU members reading this} do indeed have hernias requiring surgery,
Please, please DO NOT TRY TO SIT UP WHEN YOU WAKE IN THE RECOVERY ROOM!!!!!
I did, and was stuck halfway up,unable to raise my torso nor lower myself back onto the bed while my muscles flexed and flexed to incredible pain and thankfully a Nurse was in the room to help me back down.

She said something like:

'Oh for crissake - There, now stay down!
If you want to move you have to roll until you're healed, got it?'

I never felt such relief in my entire life as when she helped me back down onto that Hospital bed.

Last edited by RU Joe; 05-07-2016 at 04:30 AM..
( Click to show/hide )

Old 05-07-2016, 04:31 AM   #20 (permalink)
Regular Poster
11,093 posts
View Stats

I remember those badges, I always thought the black and red one was concidered better than gold. I remember being intimidated when seeing them on other schools students at track meets.

EDIT: I was right, the black ones were "Excellence", awarded only to the truly elite. Joe you musta been a phenom.

Last edited by stevencassidy13; 05-07-2016 at 04:35 AM..
kong on Bronies:

Old 05-07-2016, 05:05 AM   #21 (permalink)
Regular Poster
4,906 posts
View Stats

Quote:
I remember those badges, I always thought the black and red one was concidered better than gold. I remember being intimidated when seeing them on other schools students at track meets.

EDIT: I was right, the black ones were "Excellence", awarded only to the truly elite. Joe you musta been a phenom.
I'm amazed at this~!
All these years I thought I received the 'Booby Prize' every time.. .. I had no idea~!
( Click to show/hide )