Retro Uprising
Chat Whatever.
Donation Goal
Goal amount: 5000 USD, Received: 569 USD (11%)
Donate Now
When we reach the current donation goal all software on Retro Uprising will be replaced with a new superior method for playing games online that will support all browsers, play many more games and consoles and fix errors in existing games. This will be a massive site upgrade. The largest in our history. Please help us reach our goal as soon as possible.

Retro Uprising relies on donations from users like you! List of Donors

Register to enable more features such as high score recording.

Go Back   Retro Uprising > Other > Chat

Old 07-07-2010, 02:27 AM   #1 (permalink)
Donor
912 posts
Dojah has a faint yellow circle forming above their headDojah has a faint yellow circle forming above their headDojah has a faint yellow circle forming above their headDojah has a faint yellow circle forming above their headDojah has a faint yellow circle forming above their headDojah has a faint yellow circle forming above their head
View Stats
Level: 28
Points: 12,034, Level: 28 Points: 12,034, Level: 28 Points: 12,034, Level: 28
Level up: 54%
Level up: 54%, 416 Points needed Level up: 54% Level up: 54%
Activity: 0%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

Do you have ADD?

I just read this and wanted to see what you guys thought?

Video Games Link to Attention Deficit Disorder
Old 07-07-2010, 02:32 AM   #2 (permalink)
Forum lurker
15,574 posts
Tails has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Tails has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Tails has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Tails has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Tails has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Tails has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Tails has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Tails has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Tails has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Tails has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Tails has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!
View Stats
Level: 62
Points: 106,729, Level: 62 Points: 106,729, Level: 62 Points: 106,729, Level: 62
Level up: 81%
Level up: 81%, 4,021 Points needed Level up: 81% Level up: 81%

Re: Do you have ADD?

If you mean getting distracted at every waking moment, yes.
My SignatureDisplay Signature Reply With Quote

Old 07-07-2010, 02:34 AM   #3 (permalink)
Regular Poster
11,164 posts
Slime Slayer has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Slime Slayer has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Slime Slayer has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Slime Slayer has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Slime Slayer has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Slime Slayer has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Slime Slayer has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Slime Slayer has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Slime Slayer has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Slime Slayer has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Slime Slayer has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!
View Stats
Level: 60
Points: 68,981, Level: 60 Points: 68,981, Level: 60 Points: 68,981, Level: 60
Level up: 86%
Level up: 86%, 1,469 Points needed Level up: 86% Level up: 86%

Not reading it right now but yes I had add, I outgrew it mostly, my brother had severe adhd and he pretty much outgrew it to. (his list of medications was through the roof, now he takes nothing.)
kong on Bronies:

"Of the 75% that are straight I would bet at least 10% would rather have a cheeseburger than a girlfriend."
Old 07-07-2010, 03:48 AM   #4 (permalink)
431 posts
yoshi_star10 has been properly raised to the rank of averageyoshi_star10 has been properly raised to the rank of average
View Stats
Level: 23
Points: 7,687, Level: 23 Points: 7,687, Level: 23 Points: 7,687, Level: 23
Level up: 55%
Level up: 55%, 363 Points needed Level up: 55% Level up: 55%
Activity: 2%
Activity: 2% Activity: 2% Activity: 2%

i have adhd, its not as bad and it was worse at school, i would always be distracted and i couldnt sit still
Old 07-07-2010, 04:01 AM   #5 (permalink)
Forum lurker
15,574 posts
Tails has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Tails has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Tails has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Tails has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Tails has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Tails has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Tails has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Tails has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Tails has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Tails has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Tails has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!
View Stats
Points: 106,729, Level: 62 Points: 106,729, Level: 62 Points: 106,729, Level: 62

Think my bro had adhd, he couldn't sit still when little.

Old 07-07-2010, 10:56 AM   #6 (permalink)
Regular Poster
1,213 posts
tanc24 intelligence, kindness, and good looks are blinding.tanc24 intelligence, kindness, and good looks are blinding.tanc24 intelligence, kindness, and good looks are blinding.tanc24 intelligence, kindness, and good looks are blinding.tanc24 intelligence, kindness, and good looks are blinding.tanc24 intelligence, kindness, and good looks are blinding.tanc24 intelligence, kindness, and good looks are blinding.
View Stats
Level: 17
Points: 3,641, Level: 17 Points: 3,641, Level: 17 Points: 3,641, Level: 17
Level up: 48%
Level up: 48%, 209 Points needed Level up: 48% Level up: 48%

I grew up in the 80's, before ADD was really diagnosed and treated. I was always considered hyperactive and had a poor attention span. If I was growing up in today's world, I'm sure I'd be labeled with ADD and prescribed meds.
Proud member of the GRUMPY OLD MEN!
Old 07-07-2010, 11:15 AM   #7 (permalink)
1,757 posts
Mareeps has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Mareeps has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Mareeps has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Mareeps has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Mareeps has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Mareeps has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Mareeps has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Mareeps has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Mareeps has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Mareeps has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Mareeps has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!
View Stats
Level: 33
Points: 17,557, Level: 33 Points: 17,557, Level: 33 Points: 17,557, Level: 33
Level up: 92%
Level up: 92%, 93 Points needed Level up: 92% Level up: 92%
Activity: 13%
Activity: 13% Activity: 13% Activity: 13%

Not sure, but I pay attention to everything going on in a game.
Old 07-07-2010, 11:15 AM   #8 (permalink)
Forum lurker
15,574 posts
View Stats

I know after playing games I get the need to pace back and forth..

Old 07-07-2010, 01:47 PM   #9 (permalink)
Regular Poster
40 posts
zyborg is the posterchild for noob
View Stats
Level: 2
Points: 180, Level: 2 Points: 180, Level: 2 Points: 180, Level: 2
Level up: 60%
Level up: 60%, 20 Points needed Level up: 60% Level up: 60%

I was going to read the article, but got distracted. :P

But... I have a bit of an attention problem, but I do not believe it is ADD or ADHD.
Old 07-07-2010, 03:40 PM   #10 (permalink)
Regular Poster
4,906 posts
RU Joe has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!RU Joe has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!RU Joe has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!RU Joe has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!RU Joe has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!RU Joe has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!RU Joe has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!RU Joe has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!RU Joe has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!RU Joe has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!RU Joe has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!
View Stats
Level: 41
Points: 28,434, Level: 41 Points: 28,434, Level: 41 Points: 28,434, Level: 41
Level up: 14%
Level up: 14%, 1,216 Points needed Level up: 14% Level up: 14%
Activity: 95%
Activity: 95% Activity: 95% Activity: 95%

Concerning the article, I think it's BS.

If video games caused ADD, how could programmers make games in the first place?
The courses required to learn how to make the games would expose them to a lot {of game time} and yet they make it through.

During game production they would be exposed to the games just as much as the average gamer or maybe even more so, {not to mention the number of games they worked on} and by that measure they should be getting ADD in great numbers.

Furthermore, back in the arcades of the early 1980's I spent so much time {and money} playing games that I should have developed ADD.
When I wasn't playing, I would be watching other people play so it was constant exposure for hours at a time to video games.

Aren't ADD, ADHD,and Autism linked to the mercury {preservative} in vaccines?
[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zrIM2hwrLoc"]YouTube - Robert Kennedy on the Vaccine Autism Coverup[/ame]
Progressive Convergence: Mad hatters
Mercury in vaccinations may be behind increasing levels of autism and ADD among American children

Last edited by RU Joe; 07-07-2010 at 03:41 PM.. Reason: wording
Scanty and Kneesocks with Otto Nightmare Team presents:
Your new nightmare XXVII:
( Click to show/hide )

The sudden realization you'd been doing something wrong without knowing it, then hoping it's not too late to fix it.

Old 07-07-2010, 04:43 PM   #11 (permalink)
funk wizard
6,007 posts
Demon-Mask has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Demon-Mask has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Demon-Mask has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Demon-Mask has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Demon-Mask has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Demon-Mask has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Demon-Mask has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Demon-Mask has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Demon-Mask has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Demon-Mask has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Demon-Mask has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!
View Stats
Points: 17,301, Level: 33 Points: 17,301, Level: 33 Points: 17,301, Level: 33
Level up: 69%
Level up: 69%, 349 Points needed Level up: 69% Level up: 69%
Activity: 7%
Activity: 7% Activity: 7% Activity: 7%

Though I don't think there is a connection between ADD and video games, I do have ADD and am taking, by force, a medication for it. I'd rather not be taking it because on the label, where it says what the medicine really is, not the name, the medicine is described as "Mixed Amphetamines", but I don't have a choice whether or not I take it, and if I were to stop, I'd get nasty headaches from a lack of it in my system.
At least the medication does it's job.
Old 07-07-2010, 05:34 PM   #12 (permalink)
Regular Poster
4,906 posts
RU Joe has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!RU Joe has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!RU Joe has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!RU Joe has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!RU Joe has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!RU Joe has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!RU Joe has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!RU Joe has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!RU Joe has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!RU Joe has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!RU Joe has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!
View Stats

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demon-Mask View Post
Though I don't think there is a connection between ADD and video games, I do have ADD and am taking, by force, a medication for it. I'd rather not be taking it because on the label, where it says what the medicine really is, not the name, the medicine is described as "Mixed Amphetamines", but I don't have a choice whether or not I take it, and if I were to stop, I'd get nasty headaches from a lack of it in my system.
At least the medication does it's job.
I'm glad to hear that there is some relief from your symptoms, and I hope you get better in the future.

From your perspective, what do you think brought about your condition?
{not to pry into your business, and if you prefer not to say then I totally understand}
I'll bet a mouse that it wasn't video games.

( Click to show/hide )

The sudden realization you'd been doing something wrong without knowing it, then hoping it's not too late to fix it.

Old 07-07-2010, 05:54 PM   #13 (permalink)
funk wizard
6,007 posts
Demon-Mask has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Demon-Mask has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Demon-Mask has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Demon-Mask has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Demon-Mask has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Demon-Mask has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Demon-Mask has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Demon-Mask has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Demon-Mask has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Demon-Mask has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Demon-Mask has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!
View Stats

What I think about my condition:

I think the cause was genetic, my mom has it, my dad does (though he'd never admit it) both of my brothers have it, and at least one of my grandparents had it when they were alive.
I'm the only one of that group that regularly played/plays video games, my younger brother does occasionally, and my older brother is about the same. My mom sometimes plays games like Bejeweled, but she didn't have video games when she was a kid.

Of the entire sample, I'm the only one who's ever taken the time to be formally diagnosed, the others would rather not get tested because they don't want to spend the time to get something already known confirmed, or they are too embarrassed to get it diagnosed.

Like I said: If it was video games, then why does everyone else have it, when I am the only one that really plays them?
Old 07-07-2010, 06:28 PM   #14 (permalink)
Regular Poster
4,906 posts
View Stats

DM:
Quote:
Like I said: If it was video games, then why does everyone else have it, when I am the only one that really plays them?
Further illustrating my point.

You think it's genetic?
I suppose that's entirely possible, but I wonder how many of your family have had the 400X dose of mercury that most of us in the NAU received as children, and through booster shots.
Robert Kennedy said in the video that the problem had spread to pandemic proportions in 1996, the same year that they increased the number of 'mandatory' shots for kids.

You see, the damage from the mercury is cumulative, like it is with Sodium Fluoride, Aspartame, MSG, and other such poisons.
So it stands to reason that if they increased the number of shots a person is expected to get the instances of Autism, ADD and ADHD would also increase within that same time period.

Referring to the Robert Kennedy video again, he did say at one point that these conditions were virtually unknown {in the U.S.} until that time {around '96}.
Please consider that there have to be thousands or tens of thousands of cases before a condition can even get past the label of 'existing solely in the mind of the patient themselves', and having no medical precedents the label tends to stick for years.

ONLY when the doctor's offices and hospitals are getting noticeable increases in the instances of a given condition do they seem to pay any attention to it at all, let alone begin to entertain the possibility that the condition may actually exist.

If it reaches that stage, medical studies into the problem MAY start after being reviewed over and over by numerous cost effectiveness/ damage control committees.
{when it's far too late}

Last edited by RU Joe; 07-07-2010 at 06:29 PM.. Reason: mercury
( Click to show/hide )

Old 07-07-2010, 06:39 PM   #15 (permalink)
funk wizard
6,007 posts
View Stats

I do believe it is genetic, to some extent. Just like the fact that men in my family have a tendency to be alcoholics, and people on my mom's side of the family have a high tendency to have heart problems and diabetes.

There has been no real link between autism and vaccination, Joe. NONE.
Some people have had theories about it, and some doctors have gone far enough to refuse to vaccinate children, and they are causing the deaths of these children from easily preventable illnesses.
Old 07-07-2010, 07:33 PM   #16 (permalink)
Donor
912 posts
Dojah has a faint yellow circle forming above their headDojah has a faint yellow circle forming above their headDojah has a faint yellow circle forming above their headDojah has a faint yellow circle forming above their headDojah has a faint yellow circle forming above their headDojah has a faint yellow circle forming above their head
View Stats
Level: 28
Points: 12,034, Level: 28 Points: 12,034, Level: 28 Points: 12,034, Level: 28
Level up: 54%
Level up: 54%, 416 Points needed Level up: 54% Level up: 54%

@Joe~Do you feel ADD is a new disorder?

I do feel the article is garbage but I do see some truth in it. Not so much the gaming or tv watching, but more the inactivity brought with it. I have noticed sometimes when I am in zombie land playing for days or sitting around not really being productive I get very antsy.
Old 07-07-2010, 09:07 PM   #17 (permalink)
Regular Poster
4,906 posts
View Stats

Dojah:
Quote:
@Joe~Do you feel ADD is a new disorder?
Yes, I don't recall even hearing about it, ADHD or even Autism until the 90's.

DM, perhaps in the case of your family members your condition is hereditary but I don't think the hundreds of thousands of other peoples' conditions are or could be due to their great number.

That, coupled with the huge increase in instances of those disorders during the same period of time that they introduced Aspartame {in 1984} and similar exito - toxin brain damaging substances into our food supply and medications makes me think that there must be some connection there.
You don't just suddenly produce generations of kids with previously unknown and unseen conditions without there being some reason for it.

So far as the reports of kids dying from preventable diseases, those are most likely disinformation hit pieces cherry picked to frighten the general public into taking their partial chemical labotomies.
It's the same thing as when they frighten us into accepting a police state because 'Al - C.I.A. - duh' is everywhere ... like the boogeyman ...

Please don't take this the wrong way, I know you aren't a dumb guy, and I'm not trying to say that you are but the fact is that the wool has been pulled over Everyone's eyes = look at how they get us all to take Sodium Fluoride by telling us for generations how it's so good for our teeth
{NOT - it causes pitting of your enamel, and damages your brain, organs, and skeleton}.

Remember how long it took for people to come around to accepting the fact that Aspartame is poison?
Until enough people get sick from something there will be flat - out denial and disinformation spread about it by corporate - controlled media to cover up the truth.

To illustrate this point, please look at the following excerpt from the listing for Minamata disease:

'Minamata disease was first discovered in Minamata city in [ame="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kumamoto_prefecture"]Kumamoto prefecture[/ame], [ame="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Japan"]Japan[/ame] in 1956. It was caused by the release of [ame="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Methyl_mercury"]methyl mercury[/ame] in the industrial [ame="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wastewater"]wastewater[/ame] from the [ame="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chisso"]Chisso Corporation[/ame]'s chemical factory, which continued from 1932 to 1968. This highly [ame="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Toxic"]toxic[/ame] chemical [ame="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bioaccumulation"]bioaccumulated[/ame] in shellfish and fish in [ame="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Minamata_Bay"]Minamata Bay[/ame] and the [ame="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shiranui_Sea"]Shiranui Sea[/ame], which when eaten by the local populace resulted in mercury poisoning. While cat, dog, pig and human deaths continued over more than 30 years, the government and company did little to prevent the pollution.'
-
And that's what I mean when I say that enough people have to get sick before they take it seriously.
{or more accurately, have to confess to their crimes}

Look at the story of the Ford Pinto, the car they knew had a deadly flaw - they decided that it cost less to leave the car as is and pay the lawsuits than it was to fix the design flaw = resulting in peoples' deaths = but not enough, apparently to tip the corporate greed scale in favor of Human life.

Now consider how cold and unfeeling the pharmaceutical industry is, and what they are capable of doing in the name of profit.
{although there's more to it than just profit}

In the case of the vaccines, they even ran a counter - spin piece in the mainstream media saying that a little mercury in your brain is good for you.
[ame=http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mercury_poisoning]Mercury poisoning - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia[/ame]

Quote:
I do feel the article is garbage but I do see some truth in it. Not so much the gaming or tv watching, but more the inactivity brought with it. I have noticed sometimes when I am in zombie land playing for days or sitting around not really being productive I get very antsy.
I think people get that way after long periods of inactivity regardless of what they're doing.
Perhaps the frustration of trying to win the game may make you a bit more agitated, but I refuse to accept games being bad for you like the article is suggesting.
( Click to show/hide )

Old 07-08-2010, 01:26 AM   #18 (permalink)
MY TITLE IS RED!
26,030 posts
Dudebro has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Dudebro has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Dudebro has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Dudebro has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Dudebro has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Dudebro has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Dudebro has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Dudebro has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Dudebro has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Dudebro has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Dudebro has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!
View Stats
Points: 107,835, Level: 62 Points: 107,835, Level: 62 Points: 107,835, Level: 62
Level up: 86%
Level up: 86%, 2,915 Points needed Level up: 86% Level up: 86%

Quote:
Originally Posted by tanc24 View Post
I grew up in the 80's, before ADD was really diagnosed and treated. I was always considered hyperactive and had a poor attention span. If I was growing up in today's world, I'm sure I'd be labeled with ADD and prescribed meds.
Exactly(besides the typo). This is just a new term on an old issue. A lot of kids/teens don't fit the mold of what's acceptable in society and it's nothing abnormal. I'm not trying to say ADD doesn't exist but it sure isn't as widespread as it's being made out to be. I knew plenty of people who were told they have ADD and they were given drugs. All the drugs did is make them weird and mess up their social lives, not helping at all imo. It's mostly a load of crap.
Old 07-08-2010, 01:31 AM   #19 (permalink)
Extra Chrispy
6,705 posts
CrispyChicken has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!CrispyChicken has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!CrispyChicken has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!CrispyChicken has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!CrispyChicken has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!CrispyChicken has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!CrispyChicken has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!CrispyChicken has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!CrispyChicken has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!CrispyChicken has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!CrispyChicken has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!
View Stats
Level: 43
Points: 31,298, Level: 43 Points: 31,298, Level: 43 Points: 31,298, Level: 43
Level up: 18%
Level up: 18%, 1,152 Points needed Level up: 18% Level up: 18%

I don't really have ADD but I get distracted kind of easily sometimes haha.

"My mind is my weapon. My brother has his sword, King Robert has his warhammer and I have my mind... and a mind needs books as a sword needs a whetstone if it is to keep its edge. Thatís why I read so much, Jon Snow."

Old 07-08-2010, 03:00 AM   #20 (permalink)
funk wizard
6,007 posts
View Stats

Joe, here's a new way for you too look at this:
The way things are diagnosed has changed.
When I was younger, in the mid to late 1990s, ADD was becoming much more common, not because it was more common, but because people were being diagnosed, people were realizing that maybe there is some underlying disorder to why some children cannot focus.
Later on, I'd like to say around 2005, ADHD was becoming more prevalent, not because it hadn't existed before, but because it seemed different than just ADD, though many of the kids I grew up around who had ADD, would have now been classified as having ADHD.
Same goes for any other mental disorder.
You also must remember that mental disorders are not so much a taboo subject anymore. Now we understand that someone hearing voices isn't necessarily going to make them a killer, make them need to be treated by shock therapy, so people are willing to come forward, get diagnosed and get treated.

Yes, these chemicals do likely have effects, but not all of the suggested effects have been proven.