Retro Uprising
Chat Whatever.
Donation Goal
Goal amount: 5000 USD, Received: 569 USD (11%)
Donate Now
When we reach the current donation goal all software on Retro Uprising will be replaced with a new superior method for playing games online that will support all browsers, play many more games and consoles and fix errors in existing games. This will be a massive site upgrade. The largest in our history. Please help us reach our goal as soon as possible.

Retro Uprising relies on donations from users like you! List of Donors

Register to enable more features such as high score recording.

Go Back   Retro Uprising > Other > Chat

Old 08-17-2010, 10:48 PM   #1 (permalink)
6,651 posts
joz has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!joz has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!joz has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!joz has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!joz has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!joz has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!joz has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!joz has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!joz has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!joz has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!joz has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!
View Stats
Level: 49
Points: 40,908, Level: 49 Points: 40,908, Level: 49 Points: 40,908, Level: 49
Level up: 45%
Level up: 45%, 942 Points needed Level up: 45% Level up: 45%
Activity: 20%
Activity: 20% Activity: 20% Activity: 20%

choose your weapon!

So what's your weapon of choice for battle? No guns or rocket launchers or anything like that. Blades and blunt objects are more of the realm I'm looking for.
Begin!
My SignatureDisplay Signature Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2010, 11:04 PM   #2 (permalink)
funk wizard
6,007 posts
Demon-Mask has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Demon-Mask has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Demon-Mask has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Demon-Mask has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Demon-Mask has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Demon-Mask has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Demon-Mask has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Demon-Mask has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Demon-Mask has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Demon-Mask has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Demon-Mask has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!
View Stats
Level: 33
Points: 17,301, Level: 33 Points: 17,301, Level: 33 Points: 17,301, Level: 33
Level up: 69%
Level up: 69%, 349 Points needed Level up: 69% Level up: 69%
Activity: 7%
Activity: 7% Activity: 7% Activity: 7%

Re: choose your weapon!

A rapier, not a modern one toned down for fencing, but the heavier, more deadly stabby-killy type ones that were used for stabbing and killing, they were able to pierce armor, and the style was fast and unpredictable. Not only have the swords been toned down for sport, so has the style, the style was much less about looking good, but rather taking technically clean stabs at unorthodox angles into vital organs, at a high rate of speed. The rapier is also almost always underestimated, seen as flimsy and weak, both of which are untrue of actual rapiers, fencing foils are flimsy and weak, but a real rapier isn't. A rapier is simply for stabbing and was strong enough to pierce armor and bone with ease.
Old 08-18-2010, 01:56 AM   #3 (permalink)
MY TITLE IS RED!
26,030 posts
Dudebro has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Dudebro has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Dudebro has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Dudebro has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Dudebro has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Dudebro has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Dudebro has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Dudebro has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Dudebro has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Dudebro has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Dudebro has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!
View Stats
Level: 62
Points: 107,835, Level: 62 Points: 107,835, Level: 62 Points: 107,835, Level: 62
Level up: 86%
Level up: 86%, 2,915 Points needed Level up: 86% Level up: 86%
Activity: 0%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

I'm a fan of the sword/shield combo.
Old 08-18-2010, 02:27 AM   #4 (permalink)
funk wizard
6,007 posts
Demon-Mask has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Demon-Mask has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Demon-Mask has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Demon-Mask has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Demon-Mask has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Demon-Mask has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Demon-Mask has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Demon-Mask has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Demon-Mask has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Demon-Mask has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Demon-Mask has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!
View Stats

I'm still going to go with rapier, I'll take thrusts and precision over juggling defense and offense.
Old 08-18-2010, 07:26 AM   #5 (permalink)
6,651 posts
joz has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!joz has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!joz has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!joz has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!joz has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!joz has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!joz has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!joz has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!joz has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!joz has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!joz has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!
View Stats

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dudebro View Post
I'm a fan of the sword/shield combo.
With your big ass beard you'd be a viking then.

@DM
A rapier is fast, but it really is only a stabbing weapon. So your attack patterns are limited to thrusts. Maybe you should add a dagger aswell.

I would like to use a naginata. It can be moved around like a staff, but is shorter than a spear making it a great mid ranged weapon. I'd pair it with a hidden dagger just in case you want to kiss me.

( Click to show/hide )
Old 08-18-2010, 11:33 AM   #6 (permalink)
Donor
622 posts
Gamenguru play's well with othersGamenguru play's well with others
View Stats
Level: 55
Points: 51,919, Level: 55 Points: 51,919, Level: 55 Points: 51,919, Level: 55
Level up: 67%
Level up: 67%, 631 Points needed Level up: 67% Level up: 67%

Maybe I'm a bit of a romantic, but I've always felt that the following types of weapons successfully combine deadly striking power with a certain elegance.

( Click to show/hide )

The Batliff

( Click to show/hide )

Bladed Gauntlets

Old 08-18-2010, 11:39 AM   #7 (permalink)
6,651 posts
View Stats

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gamenguru View Post
Maybe I'm a bit of a romantic, but I've always felt that the following types of weapons successfully combine deadly striking power with a certain elegance.

I've always been a big fan

( Click to show/hide )
Old 08-18-2010, 03:46 PM   #8 (permalink)
funk wizard
6,007 posts
View Stats

Quote:
Originally Posted by jozman3000 View Post
@DM
A rapier is fast, but it really is only a stabbing weapon. So your attack patterns are limited to thrusts. Maybe you should add a dagger aswell.
Yeah, a dagger would be a good thing to pair with the rapier.
Old 08-18-2010, 07:44 PM   #9 (permalink)
IS THE CHEESIEST!!
5,607 posts
Winnebagel has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Winnebagel has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Winnebagel has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Winnebagel has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Winnebagel has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Winnebagel has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Winnebagel has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Winnebagel has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Winnebagel has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Winnebagel has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Winnebagel has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!
View Stats
Level: 61
Points: 77,506, Level: 61 Points: 77,506, Level: 61 Points: 77,506, Level: 61
Level up: 36%
Level up: 36%, 13,044 Points needed Level up: 36% Level up: 36%

Nice topic idea Joz!

As for me, if I was going with a sword alone I would have to choose something like this:

( Click to show/hide )
The Katana. It's beautiful, elegant, and deadly.

If I was in armored combat with a shield as well, I would probably choose this:

( Click to show/hide )
The Roman Gladius. It's not really pretty, but it's very balanced and could certainly get the job done in combat.

Holy Jacket of Smite!
Old 08-19-2010, 02:04 AM   #10 (permalink)
MY TITLE IS RED!
26,030 posts
Dudebro has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Dudebro has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Dudebro has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Dudebro has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Dudebro has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Dudebro has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Dudebro has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Dudebro has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Dudebro has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Dudebro has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Dudebro has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!
View Stats
Points: 107,835, Level: 62 Points: 107,835, Level: 62 Points: 107,835, Level: 62

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joz
With your big ass beard you'd be a viking then.
The comparison has been made before. If I dropped the shield and picked up an axe I'd be a lumberjack according to these same people.
Old 08-19-2010, 08:47 AM   #11 (permalink)
6,651 posts
View Stats

Quote:
The comparison has been made before. If I dropped the shield and picked up an axe I'd be a lumberjack according to these same people.

Old 08-19-2010, 08:57 AM   #12 (permalink)
MY TITLE IS RED!
26,030 posts
View Stats

Is that someone cosplaying a FF character? Maybe it's a leaked screenshot of the new hyper realistic Cid character.
Old 08-19-2010, 09:06 AM   #13 (permalink)
6,651 posts
View Stats

Feeling better DB?
Old 08-19-2010, 09:36 AM   #14 (permalink)
MY TITLE IS RED!
26,030 posts
View Stats

I was fine before, just not liking being a lumberjack.
Old 08-19-2010, 09:43 AM   #15 (permalink)
IS THE CHEESIEST!!
5,607 posts
Winnebagel has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Winnebagel has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Winnebagel has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Winnebagel has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Winnebagel has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Winnebagel has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Winnebagel has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Winnebagel has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Winnebagel has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Winnebagel has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Winnebagel has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!
View Stats

Quote:
What about if you could be a mighty Dwarf? Those are some of the most badass creatures in all of Middle-earth.

( Click to show/hide )

Holy Jacket of Smite!
Old 08-19-2010, 09:52 AM   #16 (permalink)
6,651 posts
View Stats

Good one Bagel. I wouldn't want to mess with that guy.
But if you slip on some spandex you'll turn into

( Click to show/hide )
Old 08-19-2010, 09:58 AM   #17 (permalink)
IS THE CHEESIEST!!
5,607 posts
View Stats

Wow! That's a scary thought Joz. Gimli son of Gloin is only one step away from a Power Ranger.

Holy Jacket of Smite!
Old 08-19-2010, 06:08 PM   #18 (permalink)
funk wizard
6,007 posts
View Stats

Quote:
Originally Posted by Winnebagel View Post
As for me, if I was going with a sword alone I would have to choose something like this:
The Katana. It's beautiful, elegant, and deadly.
If I were to stray away from using a rapier/dagger, and go with a single sword, I'd be torn between:
( Click to show/hide )

A Katana
A Scottish Highlands style Claymore {the old two-handed variety, good for taking down men on horses[or sheep, seeing as they were in the Highlands]}
A Zhanmadao {Chinese anti-cavalry blade, used to kill both the horse and rider with one swing}
A Zweihander {German two-handed greatsword, up to 180 cm in length}

Outside of swords, I'd have to go with:
( Click to show/hide )
A Naginata {they are made custom, the pole is generally made to be the same size as the owner's height, so mine would be around 6'4''}
A Yari {a straight-headed speaer, they range in length from one to six meters}
This kind of head on the yari.
A flail with a Morning Star head
A Mace

A Meteor Hammer {similar use to nunchaku, but heavier and cooler}

A pair of Tonfa

A Three-section staff

---------- Post added at 04:08 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:06 PM ----------

I'll still go with the rapier/dagger combo, but a meteor hammer, a zweihander or a claymore would be best out of what I listed.
Old 08-19-2010, 07:52 PM   #19 (permalink)
6,651 posts
View Stats

Those are some big weapons DM. Sounds to me like you're trying to compensate for something.
Old 08-19-2010, 08:19 PM   #20 (permalink)
funk wizard
6,007 posts
View Stats

Maybe I'm trying to do the opposite of compensate for something, but rather draw attention away from it's above average properties.

No, I'm trying to use a weapon that would work rather well for my height, weight and build, generally speaking this means a big, heavy, imprecise weapon.
Old 08-20-2010, 09:43 AM   #21 (permalink)
6,651 posts
View Stats

Good point DM. Every weapon has it's pros and cons though. Big and strong are usually slower. The faster weapons like foils and katanas are not as strong, but just as deadly. Long range like spears and pikes are great for keeping distance, but one you lose that you're kinda screwed.
Old 08-20-2010, 09:58 AM   #22 (permalink)
IS THE CHEESIEST!!
5,607 posts
View Stats

Wow! All this weapon talk makes me want to play the newest Dynasty Warriors game.

Holy Jacket of Smite!
Old 08-20-2010, 10:02 AM   #23 (permalink)
6,651 posts
View Stats

sadly I can't even play any Dynasty Warriors games... I'm getting myself/my wife a PS3 ASAP!

@ everyone - Who's your favorite in DW?
Old 08-20-2010, 10:15 AM   #24 (permalink)
IS THE CHEESIEST!!
5,607 posts
View Stats

Quote:
Originally Posted by jozman3000 View Post
sadly I can't even play any Dynasty Warriors games... I'm getting myself/my wife a PS3 ASAP!

@ everyone - Who's your favorite in DW?
PS3 eh? Yeah I guess that could work. Then you would have a nice Blu Ray player too. That would rock!

I always use a variety of different characters in the DW games, but I try ti main with a different one each time I play a new game in the series. There is generally a big variety, so you could find someone that works for you.

Holy Jacket of Smite!
Old 08-20-2010, 10:33 AM   #25 (permalink)
6,651 posts
View Stats

Yeah I've played DW games before. My room mate had a PS2 with part 5, I believe, and played the hell out of it. I liked Dian Wei, at first I thought his name sounded like John Wayne, but I also like using Jiang Wei and Zhang He.