Retro Uprising
Chat Whatever.
Donation Goal
Goal amount: 5000 USD, Received: 569 USD (11%)
Donate Now
When we reach the current donation goal all software on Retro Uprising will be replaced with a new superior method for playing games online that will support all browsers, play many more games and consoles and fix errors in existing games. This will be a massive site upgrade. The largest in our history. Please help us reach our goal as soon as possible.

Retro Uprising relies on donations from users like you! List of Donors

Register to enable more features such as high score recording.

Go Back   Retro Uprising > Other > Chat

Old 06-07-2012, 11:39 AM   #1 (permalink)
Donor
Administrator
12,226 posts
Kong has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Kong has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Kong has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Kong has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Kong has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Kong has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Kong has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Kong has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Kong has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Kong has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Kong has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!
View Stats
Level: 64
Points: 137,288, Level: 64 Points: 137,288, Level: 64 Points: 137,288, Level: 64
Level up: 36%
Level up: 36%, 13,162 Points needed Level up: 36% Level up: 36%
Activity: 0%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

Buying cheap cars

Any tips on buying a cheap car?

I am looking for something local - Asheville, NC - around $500. I figure worst case scenario if it completely breaks down I can sell it for scrap and get most of my money back.

Craigslist is the only place I know to look. Any other suggestions?

I am trying to find something that Official Kelley Blue Book New & Used Car Values - Kelley Blue Book says is worth several times more than what I pay.

Any danger signs I should look for when checking the car out?

I kind of need something within the next 7 days.
My SignatureDisplay Signature Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2012, 11:50 AM   #2 (permalink)
Donor
983 posts
D.B. Cooper glows in the darkD.B. Cooper glows in the darkD.B. Cooper glows in the darkD.B. Cooper glows in the darkD.B. Cooper glows in the darkD.B. Cooper glows in the darkD.B. Cooper glows in the darkD.B. Cooper glows in the darkD.B. Cooper glows in the darkD.B. Cooper glows in the darkD.B. Cooper glows in the dark
View Stats
Level: 38
Points: 23,071, Level: 38 Points: 23,071, Level: 38 Points: 23,071, Level: 38
Level up: 32%
Level up: 32%, 1,579 Points needed Level up: 32% Level up: 32%

Re: Buying cheap cars

You might try an auction.
Old 06-07-2012, 11:51 AM   #3 (permalink)
6,651 posts
joz has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!joz has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!joz has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!joz has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!joz has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!joz has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!joz has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!joz has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!joz has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!joz has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!joz has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!
View Stats
Level: 49
Points: 40,908, Level: 49 Points: 40,908, Level: 49 Points: 40,908, Level: 49
Level up: 45%
Level up: 45%, 942 Points needed Level up: 45% Level up: 45%
Activity: 20%
Activity: 20% Activity: 20% Activity: 20%

Go around town and look for a car that looks like it could be worth five bills and go knock on the door and make an offer. That's how I sold both of my cars. Some random person just came up to me and asked. As far as looking out for stuff...well you're getting what you paid for. If it starts and moves from place to place then you're off to a good start. So long as it doesn't smoke or shake violently, then 500 is not bad for a moving vehicle. The last car I bought was a '94 mustang. The door didn't open and it would always get wet from the inside when it rained. But it got me to work for about a year and a half. I got it for 400 and sold it for 300. I'd say I got a great deal from that buy.
Old 06-07-2012, 12:46 PM   #4 (permalink)
Gao Gao Gao
Donor
Administrator
13,084 posts
Kugyince has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Kugyince has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Kugyince has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Kugyince has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Kugyince has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Kugyince has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Kugyince has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Kugyince has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Kugyince has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Kugyince has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Kugyince has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!
View Stats
Level: 63
Points: 111,263, Level: 63 Points: 111,263, Level: 63 Points: 111,263, Level: 63
Level up: 3%
Level up: 3%, 18,787 Points needed Level up: 3% Level up: 3%

@Kong: Don't forget sales tax, registration, title transfer, and insurance costs.

Old 06-07-2012, 12:58 PM   #5 (permalink)
Donor
Administrator
12,226 posts
Kong has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Kong has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Kong has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Kong has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Kong has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Kong has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Kong has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Kong has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Kong has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Kong has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Kong has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!
View Stats
Points: 137,288, Level: 64 Points: 137,288, Level: 64 Points: 137,288, Level: 64

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tenser View Post
@Kong: Don't forget sales tax, registration, title transfer, and insurance costs.

Insurance will be about $30. How much is that other government crap?
Old 06-07-2012, 01:04 PM   #6 (permalink)
Kat with the hat
Game Mod
1,138 posts
KATZ has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!KATZ has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!KATZ has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!KATZ has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!KATZ has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!KATZ has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!KATZ has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!KATZ has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!KATZ has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!KATZ has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!KATZ has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!
View Stats
Level: 27
Points: 10,935, Level: 27 Points: 10,935, Level: 27 Points: 10,935, Level: 27
Level up: 32%, 615 Points needed Level up: 32% Level up: 32%
Activity: 100%
Activity: 100% Activity: 100% Activity: 100%

for tax tag and title to my dodge truck costed 183$ but i'm also located in florida

and as for the car itself, yes just check on craigslist, thats where i buy all of my cars (as some know i have 3 right now)

Last edited by KATZ; 06-07-2012 at 01:06 PM..
Old 06-07-2012, 01:13 PM   #7 (permalink)
Gao Gao Gao
Donor
Administrator
13,084 posts
Kugyince has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Kugyince has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Kugyince has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Kugyince has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Kugyince has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Kugyince has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Kugyince has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Kugyince has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Kugyince has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Kugyince has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Kugyince has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!
View Stats
Level: 63
Points: 111,263, Level: 63 Points: 111,263, Level: 63 Points: 111,263, Level: 63
Level up: 3%
Level up: 3%, 18,787 Points needed Level up: 3% Level up: 3%

@Kong: Depends on the state you live in. In NY I think it's $35 for plates, $15 for the title transfer, and 8.25% for tax. You'd be looking at just under $600 plus insurance.

I could be wrong though as I usually go through dealerships.

Old 06-10-2012, 07:38 PM   #8 (permalink)
Donor
Administrator
12,226 posts
View Stats

I was hoping someone would have a better website than Craigslist. But I guess that is the best.

I've also looked on ebay but haven't had much luck. That is where I got my RV.

Good news is when I posted this I thought I needed a car by this weekend but I have until next. I think I can find something. I found a great deal yesterday but it was already sold by the time I called.

---------- Post added 06-10-2012 at 08:38 PM ---------- Previous post was 06-07-2012 at 02:51 PM ----------

Anyone that knows anything about cars have an opinion on these?

97 Camaro $750 - Been listed for a while and they say they are flexible on the price.

1986 FIAT BERTONE X1/9

1991 Nissan Sentra

1984 BMW 950 obo

Jeep Grand Cherokee
Old 06-10-2012, 07:52 PM   #9 (permalink)
The Infinite Spark
1,080 posts
warghoul has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!warghoul has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!warghoul has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!warghoul has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!warghoul has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!warghoul has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!warghoul has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!warghoul has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!warghoul has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!warghoul has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!warghoul has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!
View Stats
Level: 28
Points: 12,240, Level: 28 Points: 12,240, Level: 28 Points: 12,240, Level: 28
Level up: 77%
Level up: 77%, 210 Points needed Level up: 77% Level up: 77%
Activity: 1%
Activity: 1% Activity: 1% Activity: 1%

The Nissan is probably your best bet, but that's not saying much.
Old 06-10-2012, 08:07 PM   #10 (permalink)
6,651 posts
joz has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!joz has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!joz has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!joz has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!joz has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!joz has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!joz has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!joz has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!joz has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!joz has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!joz has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!
View Stats

I'd go with the Nissan or Jeep.
Old 06-10-2012, 08:25 PM   #11 (permalink)
Regular Poster
11,164 posts
Slime Slayer has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Slime Slayer has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Slime Slayer has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Slime Slayer has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Slime Slayer has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Slime Slayer has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Slime Slayer has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Slime Slayer has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Slime Slayer has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Slime Slayer has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Slime Slayer has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!
View Stats
Level: 60
Points: 68,981, Level: 60 Points: 68,981, Level: 60 Points: 68,981, Level: 60
Level up: 86%
Level up: 86%, 1,469 Points needed Level up: 86% Level up: 86%

Lyssa sounds like a winner.
kong on Bronies:

"Of the 75% that are straight I would bet at least 10% would rather have a cheeseburger than a girlfriend."
Old 06-10-2012, 08:42 PM   #12 (permalink)
Kat with the hat
Game Mod
1,138 posts
KATZ has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!KATZ has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!KATZ has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!KATZ has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!KATZ has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!KATZ has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!KATZ has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!KATZ has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!KATZ has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!KATZ has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!KATZ has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!
View Stats

if you get the camaro i can help you with any problem you get, i had a 98 camaro
Old 06-10-2012, 08:59 PM   #13 (permalink)
The Infinite Spark
1,080 posts
warghoul has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!warghoul has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!warghoul has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!warghoul has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!warghoul has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!warghoul has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!warghoul has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!warghoul has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!warghoul has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!warghoul has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!warghoul has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!
View Stats

IT is true KATZ has over 726 cars. You should listen to her over anyone.
Old 06-10-2012, 09:12 PM   #14 (permalink)
Kat with the hat
Game Mod
1,138 posts
View Stats

HAHAHA i only have 3 :P
Old 06-12-2012, 10:18 AM   #15 (permalink)
Donor
Administrator
12,226 posts
View Stats

You all recommended different cars.

The Nissan is gone.

The others wont come down on their price so the 97 Camaro is the only option above.

Any opinions on these?

98 cadi
98 Chevy Lumina
Old 06-12-2012, 10:24 AM   #16 (permalink)
Butterscotch
2,955 posts
StarfoxFan2009 has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!StarfoxFan2009 has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!StarfoxFan2009 has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!StarfoxFan2009 has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!StarfoxFan2009 has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!StarfoxFan2009 has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!StarfoxFan2009 has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!StarfoxFan2009 has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!StarfoxFan2009 has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!StarfoxFan2009 has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!StarfoxFan2009 has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!
View Stats
Level: 29
Points: 13,260, Level: 29 Points: 13,260, Level: 29 Points: 13,260, Level: 29
Level up: 81%
Level up: 81%, 190 Points needed Level up: 81% Level up: 81%
Send a message via Yahoo to StarfoxFan2009

i'd go with the Lumina.
Old 06-12-2012, 11:41 AM   #17 (permalink)
Kat with the hat
Game Mod
1,138 posts
View Stats

of those two i agree with SFF get the lumina, caddys are notorious for everything breaking the higher you get in milege, and you get better gas milege with the loomy
Old 06-12-2012, 01:48 PM   #18 (permalink)
Regular Poster
4,906 posts
RU Joe has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!RU Joe has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!RU Joe has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!RU Joe has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!RU Joe has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!RU Joe has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!RU Joe has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!RU Joe has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!RU Joe has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!RU Joe has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!RU Joe has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!
View Stats
Level: 41
Points: 28,434, Level: 41 Points: 28,434, Level: 41 Points: 28,434, Level: 41
Level up: 14%
Level up: 14%, 1,216 Points needed Level up: 14% Level up: 14%
Activity: 95%
Activity: 95% Activity: 95% Activity: 95%

Kong:
Quote:
Any danger signs I should look for when checking the car out?
1. Duct tape anywhere on the car.
2. Rodents.
3. The price suddenly drops as the cops pass by.

Seriously though,

LISTEN:
Just listen to the engine and other sounds of the car while it's driving down the street.

FEEL:
Vibrations while driving could mean the wheel alignment is off but it could also mean something wrong with the transmission.

SMELL:
The smell of the exhaust can tell you whether the air and oil filters and spark plugs are in good shape and have been changed regularly - and the important thing there is if they aren't in good shape and {for example} the car smells like the gas is pouring directly out the tailpipe unburned, chances are the spark plugs have never been changed or cleaned.
If that's the case then you should wonder about the condition of the engine if its been run dirty for any length of time.
Scanty and Kneesocks with Otto Nightmare Team presents:
Your new nightmare XXVII:
( Click to show/hide )

The sudden realization you'd been doing something wrong without knowing it, then hoping it's not too late to fix it.

Old 06-12-2012, 01:56 PM   #19 (permalink)
Kat with the hat
Game Mod
1,138 posts
View Stats

Quote:
Originally Posted by RU Joe View Post
1. Duct tape anywhere on the car.
and bubblegum (i have found some before)
Old 06-12-2012, 04:21 PM   #20 (permalink)
Donor
Administrator
12,226 posts
View Stats

The problem is the lumina is over an hour away. The caddi is 5 minutes away.
Old 06-12-2012, 04:35 PM   #21 (permalink)
The Infinite Spark
1,080 posts
View Stats

Cadillacs aren't known to be real reliable, and they're real expensive to fix, and get horrible gas millage. I know cause I have one.
Old 06-12-2012, 04:38 PM   #22 (permalink)
Regular Poster
11,164 posts
Slime Slayer has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Slime Slayer has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Slime Slayer has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Slime Slayer has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Slime Slayer has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Slime Slayer has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Slime Slayer has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Slime Slayer has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Slime Slayer has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Slime Slayer has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Slime Slayer has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!
View Stats
Level: 60
Points: 68,981, Level: 60 Points: 68,981, Level: 60 Points: 68,981, Level: 60
Level up: 86%
Level up: 86%, 1,469 Points needed Level up: 86% Level up: 86%

What excatly are you trying to accomplish here Kong? If you just need it for a weekend then anything that runs should do the trick.
kong on Bronies:

"Of the 75% that are straight I would bet at least 10% would rather have a cheeseburger than a girlfriend."
Old 06-12-2012, 04:48 PM   #23 (permalink)
The Infinite Spark
1,080 posts
View Stats

If you just need it for a weekend rent one. It's cheap, reliable, and there is no long term responsibility that comes with owning a motor vehicle.
Old 06-13-2012, 01:30 AM   #24 (permalink)
6,651 posts
View Stats

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kong View Post
The problem is the lumina is over an hour away.
Are you walking to get to the car?
Old 06-13-2012, 11:10 AM   #25 (permalink)
Donor
Administrator
12,226 posts
View Stats

I'm hoping to get this.
Taurus 1992
$300 and runs good.
I just hope I am the first to get to it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevencassidy13 View Post
What excatly are you trying to accomplish here Kong?
I'm going to start a new thread for that.

Quote:
If you just need it for a weekend rent one. It's cheap, reliable, and there is no long term responsibility that comes with owning a motor vehicle.
I live on east coast - NC. My license is from west coast - CA. My license was stolen and it is hard to replace it so I haven't yet so renting isn't an option.

Quote:
Are you walking to get to the car?
Borrowing a car.