Retro Uprising
Chat Whatever.
Donation Goal
Goal amount: 5000 USD, Received: 569 USD (11%)
Donate Now
When we reach the current donation goal all software on Retro Uprising will be replaced with a new superior method for playing games online that will support all browsers, play many more games and consoles and fix errors in existing games. This will be a massive site upgrade. The largest in our history. Please help us reach our goal as soon as possible.

Retro Uprising relies on donations from users like you! List of Donors

Register to enable more features such as high score recording.

Go Back   Retro Uprising > Other > Chat

Old 05-29-2010, 10:49 PM   #1 (permalink)
230 posts
LunaAngelRose is the posterchild for noob
View Stats
Level: 13
Points: 2,004, Level: 13 Points: 2,004, Level: 13 Points: 2,004, Level: 13
Level up: 1%
Level up: 1%, 446 Points needed Level up: 1% Level up: 1%
Activity: 0%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

80's Movie Music Video Review: Alice Cooper Man Behind The Mask

OCTOBER 5, 2004:
Jason Voorhees was never a rock star, but with the help of Alice Cooper and one questionable marketing strategy, he did star in a rock video! To celebrate Jason's big return in 1986 with Friday the 13th Part VI: Jason Lives, somebody paid Alice Cooper enough money to take a shit on his good name and forge a song made specially for Jason Vorhees. The song, "He's Back - The Man Behind The Mask," was a modest success; it didn't crack records or signal a new era for teens across the world or anything, but hey, for a music video that moreover served as an extended commercial for a Friday the 13th flick, it did as well as anyone could've hoped.

I don't know how many of you remember the song or video, but it's a glorious festival of cheese that'll delight longtime fans of both Jason and Alice Cooper. Can't say I'm even a casual fan of the latter, though I'd gladly spit-shine Alice's snake feet for that awesome cameo in Wayne's World. I'm sure Cooper is a little more choosy with what he'll tie his name to than the video suggests, but if you really think about it, there's no harm in a guy who makes his living alleging murder teaming up with a guy who basically does the same. It's not like Alice was doing voice work for Aladdin. It's a good match.

The song is okay, I guess. Actually, scratch that -- it's kinda catchy, and that's coming from someone who doesn't listen to anything remotely appoaching this kind of music. It's Jason-centric, it's kinda spooky, it serves its purpose. The video is what really stands out, featuring a bunch of juvenile delinquents crowding an Absolutely 80s movie theater for the midnight debut of Jason Lives. This is mainly done to pardon the hideous number of clips from the film shown during the video. On the plus side, there are a few new moments starring the masked man himself.

I can't exactly tell if it's all "new" footage or just doctored clips from Jason Lives, but this was hilarious shit either way. The trump moment comes near the end of the video, as Alice Cooper is literally dragged to the abyss by Jason, neck first. Another shot worth smiling for days over uses a faux 3-D effect to make Jason swing right through the movie screen right into the theater audience, who collectively respond by either chucking their sodas or popping up wearing hockey masks of their own. The producers evidently felt that good sight gags would carry the video far more than any coherent story, as I can't for the life of me figure out what they were trying to say with this. They were trying to get at something with this, but I can't peg it. Something about a nice regular kid out on a date, stuck in the midst of all these miscreants, I dunno, but it soon degenerates into piles of movie clips and shots of Alice Cooper trapping pretty girls in bamboo cages and making faces that clearly tell you Alice would be licking the chick if the video wouldn't have been banned for it. Alice has amazingly conveyable facial features. And I bet a few pet panthers.

Friday the 13th Part VI is one of the best liked of the series. The previous chapter eliminated Jason from the proceedings entirely, a concept that wasn't exactly popular with the diehards. Part VI made up for the error in judgment with much more of the Jason we wanted to see: a mindless, murdering Superman demon who cut up everything that moved, particularly teenagers who just had sex. I'd personally call it the third best in the series, not a completely unremarkable ranking if you consider the 8,000 Jason movies out there. My only complaint is that the movie was a little too cutesy, but I'm not convicted enough in that thought to spend even another sentence on it. The film also marked the complete and total shift from Jason being a particularly durable serial killer to a demon infested with evil, magical powers. Whenever unmasked, Jason looked more like Lizard King Reptile Sarge than the disfigured person we all knew and love. I'm just saying.

All told, "The Man Behind The Mask" perfectly encapsulates the spirit of the Friday the 13th franchise and the era in which it rose to prominence, and if you don't believe that, it's at least good for a few HA YOU STUPIDS laughs. Finally, for those wondering: Yes, Alice's tribute makes good use of the series' trademark "ch ch ch" noises. I am eternally grateful for this.

My SignatureDisplay Signature Reply With Quote
http://www.gaming-asylum.com/forums/uploads/monthly_2016_09/asylum1.jpg.518d4f93a7d3aa353b7819e19ae44372.jpg
Old 05-29-2010, 11:29 PM   #2 (permalink)
funk wizard
6,007 posts
Demon-Mask has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Demon-Mask has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Demon-Mask has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Demon-Mask has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Demon-Mask has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Demon-Mask has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Demon-Mask has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Demon-Mask has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Demon-Mask has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Demon-Mask has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Demon-Mask has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!
View Stats
Level: 33
Points: 17,301, Level: 33 Points: 17,301, Level: 33 Points: 17,301, Level: 33
Level up: 69%
Level up: 69%, 349 Points needed Level up: 69% Level up: 69%
Activity: 7%
Activity: 7% Activity: 7% Activity: 7%

Re: 80's Movie Music Video Review: Alice Cooper Man Behind The Mask

Quote:
The previous chapter eliminated Jason from the proceedings entirely, a concept that wasn't exactly popular with the diehards.

Does this mean that they didn't like the first "Friday the Thirteenth" movie?
I don't remember Jason playing much of a role in that one, except in a dream the protagonist had at the very end of the movie. Even then, Jason was just a rotting little boy who jumped out of the water (and nearly gave me a heart attack doing so).

Old 05-29-2010, 11:49 PM   #3 (permalink)
230 posts
View Stats

That is true Demon but these are just my point of views on the movie and the music video that Alice Cooper did which I though was awesome for it's time don't you think?

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BbT8n_ay4fM]YouTube - Alice Cooper "He's Back (The Man Behind The Mask)"[/ame]
http://www.gaming-asylum.com/forums/uploads/monthly_2016_09/asylum1.jpg.518d4f93a7d3aa353b7819e19ae44372.jpg
Old 05-29-2010, 11:57 PM   #4 (permalink)
funk wizard
6,007 posts
Demon-Mask has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Demon-Mask has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Demon-Mask has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Demon-Mask has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Demon-Mask has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Demon-Mask has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Demon-Mask has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Demon-Mask has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Demon-Mask has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Demon-Mask has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Demon-Mask has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!
View Stats

That is a pretty good video, of course Alice Cooper is almost always cool.
It is a pretty good movie too.
Old 05-30-2010, 12:18 AM   #5 (permalink)
230 posts
View Stats

Quote:
That is a pretty good video, of course Alice Cooper is almost always cool.
It is a pretty good movie too. .
I agree with you on that one including some of his other videos that I have enjoyed over the years to watch over and over.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9Es_lUmsp40&feature=related]YouTube - #128 Alice Cooper - Poison[/ame]

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xyfU5hzmzIc]YouTube - Alice Cooper- Hell is Living Without You [lyrics][/ame]

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6dl4Q1VTJuQ]YouTube - Alice Cooper - Love's a Loaded Gun[/ame]
Old 05-30-2010, 12:20 AM   #6 (permalink)
funk wizard
6,007 posts
View Stats

This is one of the best music videos I've ever seen.
[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jJo0GNb9GOs&feature=related]YouTube - Alice Cooper Hey stoopid[/ame]
Old 05-30-2010, 01:17 AM   #7 (permalink)
230 posts
View Stats

Have one of his shirt I may have two other different ones that I have bought cause I like wearing rock and roll t-shirts when I go out to hang out some were to be comfortable & relax.

This one a picture that am posting is the one that I have one of my favorite t-shirts that I wear if I go to a rock concert people stop me and ask me if I like Alice Cooper which is cool.

( Click to show/hide )

Last edited by LunaAngelRose; 05-30-2010 at 01:19 AM..
Old 05-30-2010, 02:29 AM   #8 (permalink)
funk wizard
6,007 posts
View Stats

That's an awesome shirt.