Retro Uprising
Chat Whatever.
Donation Goal
Goal amount: 2500 USD, Received: 605 USD (24%)
Donate Now
Retro Uprising is supported by donations. We have minimal ads and no membership fees.
Donors receive a few perks such as no ads and access to hidden areas of the site.
Please help us stay 100% free and growing by making a donation. Thank you.
List of Donors

Register to enable more features such as high score recording.

Go Back   Retro Uprising > Other > Chat

Old 01-31-2011, 03:16 PM   #1 (permalink)
Regular Poster
4,225 posts
RU Joe has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!RU Joe has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!RU Joe has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!RU Joe has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!RU Joe has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!RU Joe has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!RU Joe has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!RU Joe has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!RU Joe has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!RU Joe has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!RU Joe has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!
View Stats
Level: 37
Points: 21,958, Level: 37 Points: 21,958, Level: 37 Points: 21,958, Level: 37
Level up: 68%
Level up: 68%, 392 Points needed Level up: 68% Level up: 68%
Activity: 15%
Activity: 15% Activity: 15% Activity: 15%

100 healthy Huskies put to death on Whistler

100 healthy sled dogs killed due to slow business

When I read this, I got a fresh wave of anger towards the International Olympic Committee , because I believe they're indirectly responsible for the financial crunch we {poor} are feeling here in B.C., and that this incident arose from that situation.

For the record, I am not very much a dog person {the owners' fault mostly} but this news disturbs me.
Let's break it down:

( Click to show/hide )
According to the WorkSafe B.C. documents, an employee of Outdoor Adventures Whistler has been compensated for post-traumatic stress disorder after being ordered to shoot the animals.

Translation: we likely wouldn't have even heard of this if it hadn't been for someone becoming disturbed by it.
Killing animals is disturbing, as I have been told by people who lived and worked on farms; this needless killing must have been far worse.
( Click to show/hide )
The documents reveal bookings for dog sled tours collapsed after the Olympics and when the company could not find homes for its animals, it ordered the cull.

And that's why I blame the I.O.C.
I suppose it could be shortsightedness on the part of the company owner as well, and ultimately they're the ones responsible, but who set that big money wheel in motion in the first place?

For those of you who don't know, they were all about 'sustainability', and 'lasting employment' that would 'boost the economy' and that the Olympics would be 'good for all British Columbians'.
I really should have them around for some K.D. one night.

But before I go getting bitter about it, let's open the floor, shall we?
My SignatureDisplay Signature Reply With Quote
>> << - Shop Till' You Drop - Elite
Old 01-31-2011, 03:28 PM   #2 (permalink)
MY TITLE IS RED!
24,392 posts
Dudebro has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Dudebro has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Dudebro has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Dudebro has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Dudebro has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Dudebro has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Dudebro has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Dudebro has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Dudebro has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Dudebro has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Dudebro has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!
View Stats
Level: 61
Points: 88,696, Level: 61 Points: 88,696, Level: 61 Points: 88,696, Level: 61
Level up: 91%
Level up: 91%, 1,854 Points needed Level up: 91% Level up: 91%
Activity: 100%
Activity: 100% Activity: 100% Activity: 100%

Re: 100 healthy Huskies put to death on Whistler

No excuse for this at all. I don't even feel bad for the traumatized worker who slaughtered those dogs, don't do it in the first place you weak willed moron.
Old 01-31-2011, 03:47 PM   #3 (permalink)
Regular Poster
Game Mod
5,913 posts
ChrisP has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!ChrisP has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!ChrisP has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!ChrisP has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!ChrisP has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!ChrisP has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!ChrisP has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!ChrisP has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!ChrisP has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!ChrisP has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!ChrisP has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!
View Stats
Level: 39
Points: 25,380, Level: 39 Points: 25,380, Level: 39 Points: 25,380, Level: 39
Level up: 32%
Level up: 32%, 1,570 Points needed Level up: 32% Level up: 32%

That is just awful. What the hell is wrong with people? >_>

"My mind is my weapon. My brother has his sword, King Robert has his warhammer and I have my mind... and a mind needs books as a sword needs a whetstone if it is to keep its edge. Thatís why I read so much, Jon Snow."

Old 01-31-2011, 03:51 PM   #4 (permalink)
Regular Poster
3,733 posts
elrod21 has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!elrod21 has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!elrod21 has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!elrod21 has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!elrod21 has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!elrod21 has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!elrod21 has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!elrod21 has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!elrod21 has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!elrod21 has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!elrod21 has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!
View Stats
Level: 27
Points: 11,415, Level: 27 Points: 11,415, Level: 27 Points: 11,415, Level: 27
Level up: 85%
Level up: 85%, 135 Points needed Level up: 85% Level up: 85%
Activity: 23%
Activity: 23% Activity: 23% Activity: 23%

That's Insane!

I can't believe they couldn't find anyone to take even a few of the dogs. Even at that why shoot them?

What about the SPCA? Not that I like the fact the animals would most likely be put down there too, but it would at least be in a more humane way..
Old 01-31-2011, 03:51 PM   #5 (permalink)
Regular Poster
4,225 posts
RU Joe has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!RU Joe has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!RU Joe has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!RU Joe has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!RU Joe has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!RU Joe has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!RU Joe has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!RU Joe has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!RU Joe has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!RU Joe has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!RU Joe has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!
View Stats

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dudebro View Post
No excuse for this at all. I don't even feel bad for the traumatized worker who slaughtered those dogs, don't do it in the first place you weak willed moron.
You do have a point there; he {assuming it was a he} could have picked up the phone and called either the Police or the S.P.C.A.
I imagine it could have been a 'do it, or you're fired' ultimatum put forth by the employer, like some friends have told me they faced at work in the past -- the situation was:

My buddy was working at an industrial plant on the Fraser river, and he told me they dump caustic soda directly into the river on a regular basis.
The thing in that situation was not only 'shut up or you're fired', but went so far as ordering them to yell insults and curses at Greenpeace demonstrators if any happened to show up {which they did}.
He told me how badly he felt not only for having to take part in this evil {poisoning the river at all points downstream}, but also because of how he had to yell those things at well - meaning, honestly - motivated demonstrators.

The point is that my buddy at the industrial plant {and possibly this worker who did the killing of the healthy dogs on Whistler} was faced with 'an offer he couldn't refuse' in the way that they were one paycheck away from homelessness, as I see many people are.
I am speculating that this was the case {although it could have been something else}.
Chris:
Quote:
That is just awful. What the hell is wrong with people? >_>
GR$$D created this situation, and the whole thing was set in motion by the I.O.C. and V.A.N.O.C. {who I forgot to mention earlier}
Elrod:
Quote:
Not that I like the fact the animals would most likely be put down there too, but it would at least be in a more humane way..
I agree, and I believe those beautiful dogs {yes I said that} would have gotten adopted.

Last edited by RU Joe; 01-31-2011 at 03:55 PM.. Reason: Chris and Elrod
Old 01-31-2011, 03:54 PM   #6 (permalink)
MY TITLE IS RED!
24,392 posts
Dudebro has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Dudebro has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Dudebro has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Dudebro has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Dudebro has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Dudebro has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Dudebro has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Dudebro has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Dudebro has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Dudebro has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Dudebro has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!
View Stats
Level: 61
Points: 88,696, Level: 61 Points: 88,696, Level: 61 Points: 88,696, Level: 61
Level up: 91%
Level up: 91%, 1,854 Points needed Level up: 91% Level up: 91%

To me it's a no brainer, let them fire me and report them to the proper authorities for animal cruelty. If nothing gets done about it at least I tried to do the right thing.
Old 01-31-2011, 03:59 PM   #7 (permalink)
Regular Poster
1,640 posts
tanc24 is kissing everybody's bum just righttanc24 is kissing everybody's bum just righttanc24 is kissing everybody's bum just right
View Stats
Level: 18
Points: 4,084, Level: 18 Points: 4,084, Level: 18 Points: 4,084, Level: 18
Level up: 59%
Level up: 59%, 166 Points needed Level up: 59% Level up: 59%
Activity: 0%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

Wow. Whoever is responsible for ordering that slaughter is in deep trouble. Not sure what Canadian law says, but you'd be serving Federal Prison time in the US for that disgusting behavior.

Add the fact that Outdoor Adventures Whistler already compensated the guy who actually killed the dogs and you pretty much have an admission of guilt. I suspect this story is going to get a lot of press, both national and international.
Proud member of the GRUMPY OLD MEN!
Old 01-31-2011, 04:04 PM   #8 (permalink)
6,748 posts
joz has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!joz has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!joz has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!joz has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!joz has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!joz has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!joz has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!joz has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!joz has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!joz has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!joz has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!
View Stats
Level: 44
Points: 33,086, Level: 44 Points: 33,086, Level: 44 Points: 33,086, Level: 44
Level up: 43%
Level up: 43%, 864 Points needed Level up: 43% Level up: 43%
Activity: 0%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

Disgusting! This is just plain sad.
Old 01-31-2011, 04:04 PM   #9 (permalink)
Forum lurker
16,529 posts
Tails has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Tails has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Tails has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Tails has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Tails has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Tails has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Tails has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Tails has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Tails has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Tails has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Tails has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!
View Stats
Level: 62
Points: 95,031, Level: 62 Points: 95,031, Level: 62 Points: 95,031, Level: 62
Level up: 23%
Level up: 23%, 15,719 Points needed Level up: 23% Level up: 23%
Activity: 14%
Activity: 14% Activity: 14% Activity: 14%

That's creul

Old 01-31-2011, 04:14 PM   #10 (permalink)
Regular Poster
4,225 posts
View Stats

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dudebro View Post
To me it's a no brainer, let them fire me and report them to the proper authorities for animal cruelty. If nothing gets done about it at least I tried to do the right thing.
Provided you had other means to support yourself before making that move, I agree.
But imagine if you were actually facing homelessness if you did so - would you be so willing to give up a roof over your head, and all the creature comforts therein?

It would be different if you were financially secure enough to sustain yourself.
Now, I realize that the article didn't mention any of the worker's personal details and I am speculating, but this is an interesting aspect to the situation and I wouldn't mind hearing some members' honest answer to the following question:

If you were faced with the decision of having to either kill 100 dogs or give up your home {and everything in it - goodbye roof, goodbye bed, fridge, stove, computer, games .. EVERYTHING .. and you may never re - acquire any of it - not to mention living from that point on white bread, process cheese, bologna, and other marginally - nutritious food}

What would you say then?
Honestly I think I may kill the dogs - straight up, because homelessness is akin to death, in my opinion, based on the apparent quality of life the homeless people here in Vancouver seem to have.
And before you get all OMG Grotowski!
BE HONEST!

{please bear in mind this is a hypothetical situation based on my speculations on the reasoning the worker who did the killing may have had}
Old 01-31-2011, 05:03 PM   #11 (permalink)
Donor
Administrator
12,022 posts
Kong has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Kong has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Kong has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Kong has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Kong has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Kong has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Kong has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Kong has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Kong has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Kong has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Kong has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!
View Stats
Level: 62
Points: 99,697, Level: 62 Points: 99,697, Level: 62 Points: 99,697, Level: 62
Level up: 46%
Level up: 46%, 11,053 Points needed Level up: 46% Level up: 46%
Activity: 56%
Activity: 56% Activity: 56% Activity: 56%

Uhmm.... You do realize that animal shelters in the US alone kill over 20,000 cats and dogs every day right?

I'm not saying what they did was cool at all but a single instance involving 100 dogs seems pretty insignificant when compared to the 7 million+ cats and dogs we kill every year.
Old 01-31-2011, 05:05 PM   #12 (permalink)
Regular Poster
4,994 posts
Cam3ron36 has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Cam3ron36 has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Cam3ron36 has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Cam3ron36 has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Cam3ron36 has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Cam3ron36 has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Cam3ron36 has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Cam3ron36 has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Cam3ron36 has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Cam3ron36 has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!Cam3ron36 has earned the ear of the admin. Watch yourself!
View Stats
Level: 40
Points: 27,850, Level: 40 Points: 27,850, Level: 40 Points: 27,850, Level: 40
Level up: 70%
Level up: 70%, 400 Points needed Level up: 70% Level up: 70%
Activity: 19%
Activity: 19% Activity: 19% Activity: 19%

Terrible, especially for a dog person like myself

Quote:
could have picked up the phone and called either the Police or the S.P.C.A.
Unfortunately, thanks to puppy mills, SPCA's are often full as it is.

Old 01-31-2011, 05:46 PM   #13 (permalink)
Regular Poster
4,225 posts
View Stats

Good points, and there are always greater evils as you guys pointed out.
Kong:
Quote:
Uhmm.... You do realize that animal shelters in the US alone kill over 20,000 cats and dogs every day right?
Of course I do, but they're doing it the 'right' 'acceptable' way, you know?
I still don't like it.
Quote:
the 7 million+ cats and dogs we kill every year.
On a tangent, I heard that the bodies of some of those animals are actually recycled in a sort of 'Animal Soylent Green' program.
I am not certain, but I seem to recall that Purina was the company putting the meat of these animals into their products.
{overheard in a conversation my parents were having with their friends when I was a kid}
Quote:
Unfortunately, thanks to puppy mills, SPCA's are often full as it is.
True.
Excess product of the purebred kennels, no doubt the same ones found out to be in violation of S.P.C.A. standards, but at the same time will be perfectly happy to collect hundreds or even thousands for the pups.

Hey, I just have to say that if no one wants to answer the question/ ultimatum I posed above due to its unsavory nature, I understand; there is one other possible option for a person faced with that hypothetical situation:
Kill yourself and let the company owner deal with that - could you imagine the look on their face? - I would hope the shock would give them sudden heart failure, because they deserve it.

Funny, it just occurred to me what cowards the owners of the company are, sending their employee to do the killing instead of quietly doing it themselves while their worker wasn't there.
That way likely no one would have heard of this.